British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 month of waiting I FINALLY found one of my female CRS with brownish red eggs on Sunday. But I think she is losing them (I'm not sure if the eggs are hatching because these eggs looks pretty large). Everyday I see less and less eggs and today I think she only has like 6 left. This is my first time breeding CRS so can someone tell me why she's loosing them and how long is she suppose to carry them for (like how long it takes the egg to hatch once it gets stuck to belly?)

·
Registered
572 Posts
After 2 month of waiting I FINALLY found one of my female CRS with brownish red eggs on Sunday. But I think she is losing them (I'm not sure if the eggs are hatching because these eggs looks pretty large). Everyday I see less and less eggs and today I think she only has like 6 left. This is my first time breeding CRS so can someone tell me why she's loosing them and how long is she suppose to carry them for (like how long it takes the egg to hatch once it gets stuck to belly?)
It depends on your temperature, crs eggs should hatch from 21-23 days if i can recall it correctly. I have the same problem with one of my females, she carried eggs like 3 times already but always drops all within the first few days of carrying the eggs. I don't know if she is unfertile but i think she is, IMO i think some females drop eggs because it is not fertilized or water quality causes them stress which in turn makes them drop their eggs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn :mad:
Well I still have 6 eggs so lets see if they survive or not.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Darn :mad:
Well I still have 6 eggs so lets see if they survive or not.
Just keep on trying she will come around if not this batch wait for the next one, just make sure your water parameters are all in range of keeping crs and you should do fine(fingers crossed). GL buddy!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
It depends on your temperature, crs eggs should hatch from 21-23 days if i can recall it correctly. I have the same problem with one of my females, she carried eggs like 3 times already but always drops all within the first few days of carrying the eggs. I don't know if she is unfertile but i think she is, IMO i think some females drop eggs because it is not fertilized or water quality causes them stress which in turn makes them drop their eggs.
If the eggs are not fertilized the shrimp would not be berried. Once the eggs in the saddle of shrimp which you cant see in certain species is fertilized the eggs come out and they are berried..:)

·
Registered
572 Posts
If the eggs are not fertilized the shrimp would not be berried. Once the eggs in the saddle of shrimp which you cant see in certain species is fertilized the eggs come out and they are berried..:)
Weird i have seen some eggs not fertilized at all, they never developed and later on just dropped by the female. Oh just to add to this note LOL, i have kept a single amano shrimp in a tank for one year and she was burried with eggs many times within that year and there was no other amano/male in the tank how can you explain her being burried and no one to fertilize the eggs, weird?

·
Registered
572 Posts
My first guess is your tank may not be stable, is the tank temp consistent toward 24-25c?
The weird thing about this single female Ed is that all my females do fine and all eggs hatch it is just this one female that keep dropping eggs like 3 times now that she have been burried LOL. She is a very nice female too intense white and red legs.:(

·
Registered
572 Posts
^JAP blood lines eh? those are nice. Share some pictures of her :)
Hahahaha You and your pictures, well buddy as you requested here is a picture i dug up which was taken a few months back of her. I'm using a point and shoot regular camera so quality sucks.:( This is the exact shrimp that drops eggs every time she is burried which makes me sad because i really want a strain from this female. The red on her and white is just perfect, legs are red too which is a good addition.:confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am having a bit of temperature flux cause I just can't get my temp at 22-24 :mad: I'll just hope that I can get some babies! And nice CRS MananaP!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am having a bit of temperature flux cause I just can't get my temp at 22-24 :mad: I'll just hope that I can get some babies! And nice CRS MananaP!
Patience bro! I know it is hard at first but once you get yours breeding, they breed like rabbits lol. 24-25 should be good, specially now it is almost summer with 22c temp your tank will sweat(your glass).

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
The weird thing about this single female Ed is that all my females do fine and all eggs hatch it is just this one female that keep dropping eggs like 3 times now that she have been burried LOL. She is a very nice female too intense white and red legs.:(
Maybe a weaken genes, she could be a sensetive lady~ BTW, she is a good looking one~ ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:
When I checked again this afternoon she only has three eggs left. Lets see if any survives.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update today:
Well, I don't know how many she has now but I still see some eggs. Hopefully these will survive!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol pissed her off :D
Anyway the last three eggs are still remaining!!! So two to three more weeks to go!!! My Snowball and Tiger also got with eggs too, so yeah!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Weird i have seen some eggs not fertilized at all, they never developed and later on just dropped by the female. Oh just to add to this note LOL, i have kept a single amano shrimp in a tank for one year and she was burried with eggs many times within that year and there was no other amano/male in the tank how can you explain her being burried and no one to fertilize the eggs, weird?
That definitely is weird....I got this off planetinverts:

If your female is carrying eggs then they are fertilized. The eggs become fertilized as they move down into the "carriage". The male deposits the sperm into the female before the eggs are in the carriage. As the eggs are moved from the ovaries and into the "carriage" they become fertilized by the deposited sperm. If you think that your female shrimp has carried her eggs for too long it is because the babies are not fully developed and are still growing. Be patient, it can take some time before the eggs hatch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts