British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after much thought and planning i have decided to start up my next big project. A 15 gal super long tank for above my electric fireplace. First off I did a lot of temp testing with the fireplace and tv in close vicinity and have cleared the area as fish safe. Details are as follows.

TECH

Eheim 2213
3 watt inline uv
Ista co2 reactor
Lily pipes
Beamworks 48" LED
Custom rimless 48x8x9 tank

Projected fauna
8-12 galaxy rasboras
4-9 Scarlett botis
Cbs/crs
Blue rili
Green/yellow/orange other shrimp
Who knows the world is my oyster haha

Pics of initial setup to come

Reactions: jbyoung00008

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright big weekend of productive fish things down and a while week of vacation time to spend with my new setup

as promised pics are in :)

assembling the tank ( my second tank ever and you can see my first tank ever in the back ground haha always good to have a learner project)
20141223_233342.jpg

water test/ first idea of wood layout

20141228_233329.jpg
20141228_233334.jpg

final tank placement and final scape with substrate hard scape (maybe a few more river pebbles to come)

20141230_000625.jpg
20141230_000642.jpg
NOTE* sorry about over exposed stupid cell phone pictures that make you rage.

projected FLORA

cypres helfrie (background thru whole tank)
staurogyne (repens or porto valho not sure yet) (front left plant patch)
eleocharnis sp. mini ( entire right foreground like a meadow)
maybe some mosses on rocks and sticks
anubias nana petite in all the nooks i can fit it into
coral moss near the anubias on the sticks

·
Registered
115 Posts
That looks amazing already! Looking forward to seeing your progress with this beautiful tank :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys and girls

got a bit more done today after a quick stop to a less then local fish store ( hit a snag with my normal place...)

picked up my eleocharis and a bit more cyperus to add to what i already had and made a last minute call and went with staurogyne repens out of my 90

note to anyone who reads this tank journal i will now be selling off all of my staurogyne porto valho ( sooooo many stems) and excess drift wood with this tank being more or less complete. if you want first dibs pm me now as it will hit the fore sale section in the next week i know one person already has first dibs on my drift wood.

but on with the journal :)

adding the cyperus helferi
20141230_204055_HDR.jpg

loading up my planting board with eleocharis
20141230_204044.jpg

all finished
20141230_213326_HDR.jpg

i know i have said it before and i will probably say it till it stops being true but damn you get a lot of plant with one of those tropica 1-2-grow cups... one cup filled my board and what you see in the final photo was just 2 cups. that area is roughly 2 1/2 feet long and varies from 2" wide up to 7 " at the middle end with the average middle piece being 5" wide ... i dono if it just me but i feel its insane that you can plant a reasonable starting to carpet for $20 but thats just my $.02

soon to come anubias and moss day ... ooooooooo keep posted ;)

EDIT* ignore shitty HOB filter im making a book shelf with a fake back to hide all the TECH on the left side of the fire place so until that is done that it was the poor fish must deal with. good thing there is only like 5 of them.

Reactions: crazy72

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Big fan of long length setups, yours looks great and off to a good start.I am sure it will look much better once it fills in too.Thanks for sharing, keep the updates coming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts