British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. This really sucks but i have cyanobacteria. I had it before my aquarium was planted. I completely rescaped and planted the aquarium and the cyanobacteria is back! I was able to keep it in check before because it was lightly scaped and it was made easy to clean but now that I'm running a fully planted high tech aquarium I need some advice...

Any suggestions?? Anyone??

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be low nitrate levels or low water flow, check those.
I have a 75g running an fx6 so i doubt its water flow. I have no dead spots but the nitrate levels are very low. I have a low stock fish with high stock plant. Does high nitrate lvls really help with cyano bacteria? How do i raise nitrate levels? I dont want to over feed and create detritus

·
Registered
447 Posts
I tried the hydrogen peroxide spray.Works for beard algae and hair algae.No luck with Cyanobacteria.The best way is to siphon as much out as you can and do water changes.Very time consuming but eventually went away.Have not had any problems once removed.Hope it works for you.Jody

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a 75g running an fx6 so i doubt its water flow. I have no dead spots but the nitrate levels are very low. I have a low stock fish with high stock plant. Does high nitrate lvls really help with cyano bacteria? How do i raise nitrate levels? I dont want to over feed and create detritus
What is your nitrate at right now? I am still relatively new and I can't be for sure, but I raised nitrate level by dosing more N (heavily planted nano tank) and adding more flow, and it seemed to have disappeared. It was at near 0 before due to lots of plants and now it's around 10ppm. Perhaps someone else can offer suggestions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your nitrate at right now? I am still relatively new and I can't be for sure, but I raised nitrate level by dosing more N (heavily planted nano tank) and adding more flow, and it seemed to have disappeared. It was at near 0 before due to lots of plants and now it's around 10ppm. Perhaps someone else can offer suggestions.
My nitrate tested between 5 and 10 ppm

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the hydrogen peroxide spray.Works for beard algae and hair algae.No luck with Cyanobacteria.The best way is to siphon as much out as you can and do water changes.Very time consuming but eventually went away.Have not had any problems once removed.Hope it works for you.Jody
I tried this a few days ago. It was layering on top of my substrate and i siphoned ip as much as i could. I couldnt get it all and i made a real mess of it. It grew back thicker....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts