British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Aqua Gurus
I don't want to sound like a complete noob but....

people always talk about cycling the tank, now i understand that the fish need benificial bacteria to break down ammonia, but is that it? is it just a process to create benificial bacteria?

What is cycling? Please explain it for me just so i know that i'm on the right track here..

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
its the nitrogen cycle
ammonia->nitrite->nitrate
first youl get an ammonia spike, then as bacteria (nitrosomonas) grows some of that is converted to nitrite youl get a nitrite spike, then bacteria (nitrobacter) grows to turn that into nitrate,
once the ammonia+nitrite get to 0 and youve just got nitrates cycle complete.

can read more here: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Mferko's link is pretty useful, but remember that the nitrogen cycle isn't that important for starting planted tanks. The tanks preferentially utilize ammonia and nitrite prior to nitrate, so if you stuff the tank full of fast growing stems when you start and light and feed the plants properly (Excel, CO2), then you have nothing to worry about. The plants will do that ammonia uptake for you, minimizing a cycle.

If you want to do this, post up on BCA looking for starter plants like Hygrophilia, water sprite, wisteria, Bacopa, etc. and just fill your tank with them (not literally, but you know what I mean) and don't worry about aesthetics for now. After a few weeks, you can start to replace the plants bunch by bunch and you're done.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Mferko's link is pretty useful, but remember that the nitrogen cycle isn't that important for starting planted tanks. The tanks preferentially utilize ammonia and nitrite prior to nitrate, so if you stuff the tank full of fast growing stems when you start and light and feed the plants properly (Excel, CO2), then you have nothing to worry about. The plants will do that ammonia uptake for you, minimizing a cycle.

If you want to do this, post up on BCA looking for starter plants like Hygrophilia, water sprite, wisteria, Bacopa, etc. and just fill your tank with them (not literally, but you know what I mean) and don't worry about aesthetics for now. After a few weeks, you can start to replace the plants bunch by bunch and you're done.
good advise... :) so when can i get some nice jave fern :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts