British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a breeding colony of demasoni cichlids in a 150 gallon. About 12 of them between 1.5 and 2.5 inches. In there for a month and still not breeding. Is this normal? Some info if needed: --> substrate sand with lots of holey rock. Parameters are mint, no high nitrate,nitrite or ammonia and a ph of 8. Feeding them spirulina flakes which they love. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no dont think so. hard to say. they should be breeding at this size. got enough males and females

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Maybe there still not use to the new tank? My Yellow labs, around the same size as your demasoni, started breeding when I did a water change (50%) and they were in my tank for about 1 1/2-2 months. So maybe soon they will start breeding? and maybe try doing a big water change or something? :D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
yep, try doing a big water change to stimulate breeding, sometimes leaving the lights on overnight works too, or off during the day.
basically just switch things up a bit

if that doesnt work you could remove all but the alpha male, the others could possibly interrupt breeding

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Oh ok. Btw, what's the male to female ratio? Maybe you need for females or something? :D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
mine also seemed to breed shortly after i started feeding them PE frozen mysis shrimp, have you tried those? theyre really high in omega 3 fats mebbe that helps them make the eggs. i feed NLS cichlid pellets 80% of the time and occasionally treat them with the shrimps.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Do u have hidding places?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
3 males 9 females. There's gotta be one hot chick in there they like
That should be a good enough ratio. Haha mine was 2m 2fm yellow labs :D. Hahaha hope there's a good looking demasoni for your males ;).

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Claudia. lots of hiding spots in the rocks. Definitely in a 150 gallon and only 12 fish. @Mferko they really like the flakes, go crazy and eat out of my hand actually. They dont seem to like pellets so far. I could try the mysis shrimp.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
theyl go nuts over the mysis shrimp, for 12 put in a piece about the size of a keyboard key :p try it maybe once every 4th flake feeding or something, hope it works.
eventually when they get to 4 inches they might start to like pellets more than flakes it depends, my aceii really loved the flakes even when 6 inches but the zebras liked to move onto bigger things like hikari cichlid excel pellets which are high in spirulina or the nls pellets.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I fed mine frozen blood worms once a week as a treat. Maybe that can work too? :D

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Maybe they r not ready to breed yet, do water changes always helps

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I fed mine frozen blood worms once a week as a treat. Maybe that can work too? :D
the PE mysis shrimp probably have more nutritional value. theyre extremely fatty (the good fats)
you can even see a bit of fish oil floating on the water for a little while after feeding

heres their website, theyre from BC
http://www.mysis.com/pemysis.html
can buy em at IPU and prly lots of other pet stores.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
the PE mysis shrimp probably have more nutritional value. theyre extremely fatty (the good fats)
you can even see a bit of fish oil floating on the water for a little while after feeding
Maybe ill try it when I run out of frozen blood worms :D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
was thinking about it today more, try the mysis and feed it to them like every second day do a big water change and then try not to do any water changes for 2-3 weeks, you shouldnt have any quality problems on such an understocked 150 gallon for that long. then do a big 75% water change in the evening and leave the lights on overnight and the next day hopefully some should be holding in the morning or when u get home from work.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
all 3 males have their own breeding spots/caves?

Only thing I would assume is that the other males are interrupting breeding process... (on top of all the other suggestion above)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I just got a breeding colony of demasoni cichlids in a 150 gallon. About 12 of them between 1.5 and 2.5 inches. In there for a month and still not breeding. Is this normal? Some info if needed: --> substrate sand with lots of holey rock. Parameters are mint, no high nitrate,nitrite or ammonia and a ph of 8. Feeding them spirulina flakes which they love. Any advice?
Harden the water. What is your hardness levels? Unlike most fish, harder water encourages africans to breed. Water changes yes as long as the hardness is corrected. They will thrive in 12dKH or higer and the GH should be over 15.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts