British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
crushed coral substrate, white holey rock, or you can get lake specific buffers at IPU ie kent malawi buffer.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
i was originally thinking what smilidon thinks but the more i think about it any demasoni that tried to interrupt the alpha male would get a beat-down by that alpha male, ive had a male casualty before that the alpha male decided to beat up cuz he kept getting too close, demasoni are extremely aggressive to conspecifics.
you could try hardening the water although my aceii and yellow labs both breed repeatedly without me paying much attention to that other than white rock. they may just not be ready if youve only had em a month (did the previous owner specify they had already been a PROVEN breeding group?) hopefully the high omega3 fats in the PE mysis will get em makin those eggs asap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OMG, I read the title of this post as "demasoni cichlids not breathing."

Glad they are o.k.

To raise hardness, you can add Replenish from a bottle. It's made by Seachem and you can get it from IPU or Big Als. There are other products available, too.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
hey another thing that has worked in the past is raising the temperature i forgot to mention that
try bringing the temp up to 82F, if its alrdy there mebbe go down to 78-80 for a while and then bring it up again while doing a big water change?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
any news on your demasoni?
i noticed yesterday that 2 of mine were holding, so i put them into the 10g grow out tank, one of them spit overnight so i put her back in the 40g, and started to strip the 2nd one but the eggs look like theyve only been fertilized for ~5-8days there is a little fish with beady black eyes stickin to the side of the egg and they actually swim around a bit its pretty funny, got them in one of those hang on breeder boxes so they get plenty of oxygen and dont get eaten.
then i looked back up at the 40g which is above the 10g and there is a THIRD holding demasoni as of this morning, i'll wait 3 weeks to strip that one assuming a bunch more dont start holding again and i cant tell them all apart
i also noticed 2 of my aceii have tubes down
its a freakin orgy in there.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts