British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Oscar for about two weeks now and he is food obsessed, as I expected. What I am wondering is what is the best food combination to keep him as healthy as possible?

Currently I am feeding him a mixture of flake food (TetraCichlid crisps) and brine shrimp (Hikari).

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
To prevent hole in the head and various other problems (mainly because Oscars are not picking eaters and will gorge themselves on anything), you need to provide a well balanced diet, which is in a lot of the high quality pellets like New Life Spectrum, Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets, the Dainichi cichlid pellets April sells, etc. I supplemented my O's diet with pieces of orange and watermelon when I had it, and canteloupe. Basically any fruits that he would eat. If you want to go with a cheaper staple, you can try the soft and moist with krill and the earthworm sticks that Charles sells too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To prevent hole in the head and various other problems (mainly because Oscars are not picking eaters and will gorge themselves on anything), you need to provide a well balanced diet, which is in a lot of the high quality pellets like New Life Spectrum, Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets, the Dainichi cichlid pellets April sells, etc. I supplemented my O's diet with pieces of orange and watermelon when I had it, and canteloupe. Basically any fruits that he would eat. If you want to go with a cheaper staple, you can try the soft and moist with krill and the earthworm sticks that Charles sells too.
Are bloodworms okay for him? I have a wack of them that we feed to our daughter's frogs. I actually put spinach/cucumber in the tank once or twice a week now for the silver dollars so he does have access to vegetation. This might be a weird question but what about sea weed? We always have sea week around as well but I've never thought of giving it to my fish before.

I will head out now and pick up some higher quality pellets for him.

Jay- That recipe looks amazing. We're vegetarian so if I can tackle through the idea of handling meat I will give it a try, lol. I know I am feeding him animals already, and believe me I'm not happy with it but it's what they need to stay healthy.

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Are bloodworms okay for him? I have a wack of them that we feed to our daughter's frogs. I actually put spinach/cucumber in the tank once or twice a week now for the silver dollars so he does have access to vegetation. This might be a weird question but what about sea weed? We always have sea week around as well but I've never thought of giving it to my fish before.

I will head out now and pick up some higher quality pellets for him.

Jay- That recipe looks amazing. We're vegetarian so if I can tackle through the idea of handling meat I will give it a try, lol. I know I am feeding him animals already, and believe me I'm not happy with it but it's what they need to stay healthy.

Thank you!
I'm not sure he's going to go after the veggies voluntarily, so you might have to disguise it by mixing it with other food. I don't see why not with seaweed, as long as it's not flavoured or salted.

Another great food is shelled peas. My JD's and Chocolate cichlid love them and they are high in protein also. It has the bonus of keeping them "regular". O's are prone to indigestion. My plecos and cichlids all love them. I also give them to my shrimp. Just thaw out frozen peas for 10 minutes or so and squirt them out of the shell and feed the soft insides. All your fish will love it. Try not to overdo it though, as they are nutritionally very dense and fairly high in protein. That partly solves your meat problem (as you're vegetarian). The pellets will have fish meal and other processed meaty foods to satisfy his needs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, sounds good :)

I season the seaweed myself so it should be fine to put in the tank.

Yah, I've seen you talk about the shelled peas in other posts before. Awesome idea considering we always have boxes of them kicking around :)

What about tofu? I could try the extra firm tofu so that it doesn't fall apart in the water too quickly.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
With tofu, I'd be worried about digestibility. I know they use plaster of paris in tofu for instance, so what would be fine for us (to hold the tofu together) may not be fine for the fish. It is also very high in protein (I used to eat lots of it when I was a student), but maybe it would be better to try beans instead. I know some guys on Planetcatfish feed their plecos beans (like cooked kidney beans).

·
Registered
646 Posts
heres what i feed my Oscar:

- Prawn (frozen and raw)

- tilapia (frozen and raw)

- squid (frozen and raw)

- smelt (frozen and raw)

- herring (frozen and raw)

- krill (frozen and raw)

- silver sides (frozen and raw)

- mysis shrimp (frozen and raw)

- Brine shrimp (frozen and raw)

- algae wafers

- regular wafer

- shrimp pellets

- flake food

- vegetables, i.e: cucumber, zucchini, yams, sweet potatoes, broccoli, romaine lettuce, peas

- pellets, i.e Hikari Cichlid gold, Hikari Massivore and NLS Cichlid formula (this is what i feed MOST)

on a side note regarding worms:

most worms are made up of mostly moisture, and have very little protein. so in short, no worm is better then a top quailty pellet. if u look on a pack of frozen blood worms and check out the guaranteed analysis you will see what i mean.

i don't feed worms to any of my fish anymore, its just not worth it. there's always going to be a chance of disease or parasite when feeding live. the bottom line is, worms are not that nutritious compared to other foods out there. like the ones i listed above.

there's also been cases were fish have become addicted to certain worms and begin to refuse other foods.

heres my Oscar:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beautiful oscar Death's Sting :)

Currently I feed cichlid flakes and brine shrimp but I guess he does eat the algae wafers I put in too.

I went out to the LFS today and no one seems to carry Hikari (out of the three I checked). I will have to jump online and find a place in Abby or close to it that carries their products.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Beautiful oscar Death's Sting :)

Currently I feed cichlid flakes and brine shrimp but I guess he does eat the algae wafers I put in too.

I went out to the LFS today and no one seems to carry Hikari (out of the three I checked). I will have to jump online and find a place in Abby or close to it that carries their products.
IPU or Big Al's online is ur best bet. and thank u, my flag tail has the same diet and its absolutely stunning as well. its massive!!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
IPU or Big Al's online is ur best bet. and thank u, my flag tail has the same diet and its absolutely stunning as well. its massive!!
so zach ? you pretty much feed everything ? right ? just at different times ??

humm ?? and your oscars look great man !! ;)

good job buddy !! i think thats what i said , oscars eat everything ..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so I have a question, hopefully despite all the shenanigans someone will pay attention to it :p

Soooo, I am feeding my little guy a variation of foods on your kind suggestions but now I am concerned I am not feeding him enough. He has grown about .75" since getting him.

I feed him three times a day but there are a number of other fish in the tank. If I could ensure he received what I put in for him, how much should that be each feeding?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I'm not sure there is a rule for that. From my experience with Oscars, if you fed them every time you walked by the tank, even if that's 100x a day, they will still beg for food. Since he's a juvie, you might want to feed 4 - 5x a day if you can. If you see his little full, that should be good. Remember that O's like to gorge themselves and can get indigestion, so you don't want to feed him every time he looks for food (never mind the expense). If you feed 4 - 5 times a day and give him whatever he can eat in a minute or so, that should be plenty.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
what food is best for Xanthrophyl (yellow pigments)
i was told you can feed marigold petals, has anyone tried that? i was wondering if mine would even eat them without mixing them in with something.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts