British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im still new to breeding discus. I have a HOB with a prefilter. The parents moved them and put them on the prefilter sponge. I have the filter set to the lowest setting. Im wondering if this is dangerous for the fry. The waterflow is very low. From what i know about discus is that the fry are attracted to dark objects. Once they are free swimming will they be able to find the the parents and latch on? Will they get stuck to the pre filter?

Any advice will help!

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nice looking pair! I would get rid of the Hob filter and go with a plain sponge filter. Would be afraid of them getting sucked up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking pair! I would get rid of the Hob filter and go with a plain sponge filter. Would be afraid of them getting sucked up.
Thats what im afraid of but the water flow comming out of the HOB is just a small trickle and im hoping its not enough to suck them. It seems like the fry arent small enough to get sucked through though... my main concern is them hanging on the prefilter and getting sick and dying from debris from the filter sponge..

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I'd they are good parents they will back up and shiver and call the dry to them. If they are having trouble finding the parents you may need to turn the filter off and lower the water level.just while they are coming off. But I agree. Lose the aquaclesr and get a hydro sponge . You could set one up now and turn off the aquaclear after a couple days once the hydro sponge gets some of the bacteria.
There does t seem to be a lot of eggs. It's possible if young parents they may decide to eat and re lay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I swapped out my HOB for a sponge filter and they are trying to put the fry on the sponge filter now lol. Is this a normal thing for discus? should I have put wire mesh to cover the spawing site until they are free swimming?

April, there isn't a lot of eggs because the female is small... actually both are small. The male is only 4.5" and the female is 3.5"

Im hoping to get some fry so i can grow them out properly. These were my first pair of discus and didn't realise how much they needed to eat to get big.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Parents move them
Around . Moving them means they are usually good parents. Leave them be.
As
Far as being small it is t all about the food it's
More about the wcs and getting discus from a good source that aren't already comlpimiaed or
Lost their window . Doesn't take long to lose growth .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts