British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

About 3 months ago I got 5 discus that had pure brown color (light brown). After a month 2 of them showed blue/red snakeskin patterns and are still developing that color. However, the other three that are a bit larger have stayed the same color of light brown ever since. I was told that all the fish were about 6 months old when I got them and have heard that discus develop their color around that time. It's now been approximately 9 months and still nothing for those three discus.
I asked my LFS if they have ever seen brown discus before but they said that they haven't which surprised me.

If anyone has any idea on this I would love to hear a response.

Thank you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Some discus will just develop colours later than others from the same batch. OTH, there are also discus which are mostly just brown without much colouration, I wouldn't worry about it much if they are still healthy and eating.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Google alencers. Where did you get them? If they were local bred and were meant to be leopard
As or snakes only a
Small percentage of each spawn turn out . The others are throwbacks.snakeskin is not a set
Strain. Usually
About 30 percent. How big
Are
Your fish? Some don't colour up until 10 months
Or
So. Count their bars. Snakes have 14 . Red Turks and all other barred discus have 9 bars. When selecting young ones and you are
Selecting snake pattern you go by the bars. The rest turn into red Turks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have you had aggression issues? if not they should eventually get there color. I have 4 (2.5"-3") in a 20 gallon and I have had one very mean one that chases the others around and they dont have much color either. my tank is loaded with plants and fake plants to.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone who replied.

@Jiayaw: My guess is also that three of them will just be brown.

@April: I got them as a gift so I'm not sure, but i know that they weren't locally bred. The biggest of them is 4" and the smallest is 3". The two with the blue and red patterns have 9 bars and look similar to red turqs. However, the other three have 14 bars and have no color with the exception of a few light blue stripes at the tip of the bottom fin.

@Insane: No, i haven't had any aggression issues between the discus, however, I am keeping the discus with other fish also. Fish such as Black Ghost Knifefish, 3 clown loaches, bristlenose plecos, neons, cories, and germ rams, and in total I've got 8 discus. Everyone seems to get a long in the tank and definitely no signs of aggression between any of the fish. but still, do you think this could cause an issue?

I would put up the pictures I have of these guys but I keep getting the message that it failed to upload. I am trying to upload with jpg, and ideas why I can't?

·
Registered
682 Posts
is your tank heavily planted? that could maybe be why they are dark in color. maybe they are just brown discus?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@FishFreaks: No it's not heavily planted, just a few plants here and there. The discus are actually not dark they are very light brown.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Snakeskins develop their colours later than red Turks. Although some do stay mostly brown and don't get a fine pattern. Do they have a fine pattern om their gills? If not they may stay that golden colour with a few specks through them.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1t1g3g

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@April: No, they have a light hue of blue on the gill but other than that nothing. Just on a side note how old do you think these guys are? And another question thats been on my mind is that about 2 months ago i made this beef heart mix -- which consists of: 3lb BH, 1lb Beef liver, 2lb raw shrimp de-shelled, 2lb spinach, 1 box peas, 1/4lb flake foo, 1/2 cup wheat germ, 1 tblspn Spirulina powder, 2 tblspn Multi-Vitamins, 1lb bloodworm, 1/4lb brine shrimp, 1/4lb zucchini, 6 garlic gloves, 1/4lb carrot, 6 fish oil supplements,and 30g geletin to keep it all together--
I've been only feeding this to them this for the past month and on occasion just bloodworms, brine shrimp, and a zucchini but mostly this. What do you think? is it ok to just feed them this mix?

Thank you for you help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts