British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Discus nose dip, why?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Canadian_Aqua_Farm 
#1 ·
I am wondering what caused discus to have a little dip between the round forehead and the mouth.
Is it caused by medication at a young age? Any other cause?
Just curious.
Thanks.

#4 ·
Hi Rick,
Thanks for your help.
When this occurs in an adult is there no way to correct it?
When people say poor condition would cause a problem, is that because some micro organism is present in large number due to the large amount of dissolved organic/ammonia in poor water condition?
On a side note, I remember reading Andrew Soh saying he believed that chipped eye was cause by a micro organism that can grow and reproduce very fast when ammonia is high, which in turn may attack the eye and eat a piece of it off. I do not suppose a dipped nose is a result of an attack like this, is it? Is there a piece of bone missing or something like that around that area...and why would it happen due to poor condition or medication. I am just baffled. Thank a lot.

#5 ·
There is no way to correct it. If it shows up suddenly in an adult that didn't previously have it I would think it is most likely from disease. When I say poor conditions I'm thinking long term for young discus that are still growing as it will cause them to take on a poor form over time. Poor conditions for adults may make them lose weight in other areas but won't "dent" the nose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.