British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the old incarnation, I had tried to start this thread but I think I was too vague.

I've found I often have stems to give away/sell so thought it would be a cool idea to start this thread.

Here's how it works - I'm going to get the ball rolling by giving away some plants. If you want them, you just need to reply here that you will accept them, then must put an item or plant of similar value up for grabs for the next person. It doesn't need to be anything expensive, buy the idea is to just pay it forward and a great way to give back to the hobby!

The thread in the classifieds section is ONLY for posting that you will accept an offer and then to list what you're offering up to the next person. Any discussion, questions, comments, or anything of that nature can be done here.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RAOK discussion thread

This is a thread to discuss things related to the random act of kindness thread in the classified forum...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
seems to be a great idea :D think i'll save a red lotus or two just for this, Growing out 4 off shoots right now, 2 of them are nearly ready, and another 2 are still way too small to see if they'll do well

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RAOK discussion thread

Well especially since the hobby has become more common, lol we all basically do it anyway these days, at least this will encourage more to do so, and could spread different plants amongst the people here :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey Alym, very cool idea that you're starting. I'll grab the moss and stems from you, and I'll offer up a portion of christmas moss and a bunch of rotala rotundifolia and egeria stems for the next person.

EDIT: jobber604 made a good point about snails. I currently have MTS, ramshorn, and bladder snails in my tank so be warned...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
hey alym,
that's an awesome idea. i know of a few other members who've done the same for me. when i bought clippings or other livestock, they'd give me some plants to see if i can grow up. i'm new to the planted aquarium and it has made my personal experience very good.

seems like the hobbyists are the ones that are actually genuine and willing to give to one another. this is what society should be!

let's get the ball rolling and hope this continues for the long haul.

PS: just make sure we inform each other if there are snails etc etc in the tank. i try to keep my nano tank free from snails.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Bumping again. I picked up Alym's plants today, and since he was generous enough to give me more stems of p. Stellatus than I can fit into my tank, I'll be passing on the couple of extra stems to the next person, as well as a couple of jungle val plants that had to go to make room for the p. stellatus.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greg: this is the discussion thread, you should probably post the offer of plants in the F/S section...

·
Registered
12 Posts
So is this just for the guys in the BC area, I mean it's only local pick up or shipping too(Montreal) ?!?

I wanna ask b4 posting in the FS topic.

I'd be more than happy to have wsl's moss....and I have to offer a portion of java moss and another one that I don't remember the name(~ 10 pcs)...here it is....

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that would depend on whether you/Greg(wsl) would be able to sort out shipping costs. I'd confirm with him over pm ;D

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Greg, I just sent you a PM with details of what plants I will be offering etc.
I need as much christmas moss as possible to fill up spots on my 5' driftwood.
---
I have about 7 different kinds of plants that I can offer, but mainly it will be these:
1. Water Sprite
2. Jungle Vals
3. Sunset Hygro
I have other plants, but I dont know the names...

I also have this rare wide-leafed Java Fern that I got from Lisa (ibenu). This plant is giving out babies in leafs now and I also have these up for free for whomever needs to try their hands on them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, if Smiladon is going to take the plants from Greg, please post officially in the Classified section thread so it's clear that you're accepting the offer from Greg and are offering xyz...

Let's get this ball rolling!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ok, if Smiladon is going to take the plants from Greg, please post officially in the Classified section thread so it's clear that you're accepting the offer from Greg and are offering xyz...

Let's get this ball rolling!
I was going to post after my pickup, but I will post now :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Random act of kindness

Sorry that transaction didn't work out for you-- hope you can jump in again soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts