British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to build my own 180g tank and am just curios what you all would recommend. I'm planning to eurovrace the tank. I've done a bunch of reading up and Google work but keep seeing 2 different set ups. One has the bracing set up on top of the front/back and sides, the other has it set inside. Any recommendations as to why one would be better than the other? I'm planning an external almost coast to coast overflow as well. So thinking having the bracing sit on top would be better

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can't help you with the differences in style of bracing, I've noticed it too, but always chalked it up to manufacturer preference; like how Marineland or Aquen use plastic braces, but Sea Star used to use a slab of glass.

I will be watching your thread though. I'm planning a 180g of my own, but I only intend to DIY the stand.

Speaking of which, do you have plans in mind for a stand?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If your doing Euro bracing I would skip the centre. Race and do a 4" ish brace all the way around and leave the centre open.

Personal preference though. I'm debating using thicker glass and going braceless on the next build

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can't help you with the differences in style of bracing, I've noticed it too, but always chalked it up to manufacturer preference; like how Marineland or Aquen use plastic braces, but Sea Star used to use a slab of glass.

I will be watching your thread though. I'm planning a 180g of my own, but I only intend to DIY the stand.

Speaking of which, do you have plans in mind for a stand?
Yeah I've seen both ways too. As for a stand, this tank is being built into the kitchen as part of the reno. So the stand will be designed to match the cabinets I'll be building for the kitchen. Haven't fully designed it yet but will post pics when I do.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If your doing Euro bracing I would skip the centre. Race and do a 4" ish brace all the way around and leave the centre open.

Personal preference though. I'm debating using thicker glass and going braceless on the next build
I was thinking about that as well. I'm used to having lids on my tank though so not sure how easy it would be with a fully open top.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally a fan of both euro bracing and rimless. However if it was me id go eurobracing just for ease of mind.
Me too. I know I want bracing. Now wondering about the center brace though. Having no center brace would be awesome for working on the tank. But then I have to figure out how to do lids.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lids would rest on your Eurobrace. My cube is Eurobraced with no centre brace. You can just sit the lids on the braces.
Yeah that would work too. I guess I was just trying to make it more difficult than it needed to be by having them framed in somehow.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good idea Gary. That's what I decided to do. Here's the design of the tank so far. It's 72"L x 24"W x 26"H. I added 2 inches in height so that the overflow line is at 24" high and I don't lose any water volume. Overflow box is 6"W x 8"H. I also went with 3" wide bracing. The tank and bracing will be 3/8" glass, the overflow box and lids will be 1/4". Anyone see anything they think should be changed before I start pricing out the glass?

Front:

Right:

Top:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm pretty excited about it. Need to start designing a sump as well.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Very cool. Love the external coast to coast.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine is a custom built tank with full Eurobracing around the edges and no center brace. Works fine.
Cool. Now I want to work out the sump. I want to do a refugium, as well as I'm wondering if it would make sense to have a compartment for ATO built right into the sump.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that's a good idea, personally.
Would love to know your ballpark on this build Daniel.
Happy New Year Sir.
Lol, I'm still trying to decide whether to buy new gear and sell off my 90g as a package or to pirate the gear and sell what's left. That'll significantly change the ballpark.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts