British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my Amano shrimp are attacking my tetras. I started with six cardinal tetras, and over the past 2 weeks - two have disappeared and are no where to be found.

The water conditions are fine and my other fish are all acounted for (6 glass fin tetras and 2 swordtails).

There's about 2 dozen amanos in there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i dunno if they attack them or not...but i have both species in there and so far i dun see any cardinal casualties...but here is something u might wanna know...if ur fish died..the amanos might make a snack outta the corpse...if you have 2 dozen amanos...you do the math..haha...might not see the dead fish if you tank has lotsa plants and decorations. sometimes new fish that are introduced to a different tank do pass away(ever had ottos before?)...kinda crappy luck...

·
Registered
25 Posts
(ever had ottos before?)...kinda crappy luck...
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I have never had an Otocinclus die right after I bought one, earliest was at least 2 or 3 months after I got it :p

Also I agree that the Amano's are most likely eating the dead bodies of the fish.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I have never had an Otocinclus die right after I bought one, earliest was at least 2 or 3 months after I got it :p

Also I agree that the Amano's are most likely eating the dead bodies of the fish.
haha..not really right after..but a few weeks after..then again..small tank..and yada

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
in my tanks they have only pestered fish if they want the food, but if the fish stands ground the amano will flee
my amanos try to swoop in and grab a piece of food and then swim away with it lol, ie a chunk of an algae wafer i split in 3.
the pearl blues swim around upside down trying to snag flakes right off the surface when i feed the fry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My amanos have never been hostile towards any of my fish, includding my neons and cardinals. but they will feed on the dead for sure.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My amanos have never been hostile towards any of my fish, includding my neons and cardinals. but they will feed on the dead for sure.
Agree with this 100%. As soon as the fish is dead, seems to be fair game for the amanos.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Amanos lack predatory claws of any size. Any fish that pass on would be quickly consumed by the other fish and for sure shrimp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts