British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first reaction is these people are strangers and i shouldn't let them in but then everyone i have met has been so nice and friendly and invited me into their homes, what do others think ??? i mean this is a public forum, i wouldn't let craigslisters into my home, but because this is more of a community is it okay ???

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
i didnt really think about it.. i mena i let them in all the time. my house has an alrm and i am not a small guy so i am not worried. but yeah do what u feel is right. if there are others in te house i think ur fine but make it a quick deal and get them out lol.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think the difference between here and craig's list, is that we interact with each other, and get to know each other. I have been invited into homes, I have been left un attended in two member's homes. They obviously trusted me, and I made sure that trust wasn't missed placed. Another invited us over for dinner, when we were out her way. She obviously trusted us as well. Yet a third member let us into his office so we could change our 2 yr old's diaper.

We have also has people over to our home as well, with no problems. I dread to think of the "fall out" from members of this forum if someone were to conduct themselves in a less than honourable manor while in someone's home.

Steve

·
Registered
916 Posts
Never have I let someone wait outside .I allways welcome them into my place. There usally pretty smart people. As any that I have invite to leave by the same door they came in have done so pretty quick....and yes that was craiglist.
Depends on who you are and whats in your house I suppose. If your a girl, alone, with expensive jewlery hanging around ....you shouldn't .
I figure if someone wants to join a fish forum and be underhanded they would be slammed here.
But then again I have heard some strange stories like some one cramming heaters in a bucket of sand ....wtf?..And its hard to prove and less likely to be reported if you discover something gone a few days after there gone.
I am not to worried cause I knopw where all the blunt instruments as well as sharpe objects are :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, i just wanted to get some other opinions ... as i said, everyone i have met from this forum has been very nice and the ones i have let in, also no problem, very friendly people ... and it is always nice to show your tanks to new people :)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
i have also let numerous people from this forum into my home and been invited into as many others homes also.
that is what made the itrader of the before crash site invaluable.
as stated before though underhanded individuals would be slammed quick here.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
As everyone has said, I have let people in and been invited in. I take that as a sign of trust and would never do anything to break that trust. Besides, how can you show off your tanks without inviting them in? For me, that is one of the best parts of meeting other members. Sometimes the deal becomes secondary to viewing their setup and talking fish.

·
Super Moderator
6,609 Posts
I've had 100s of BCA & Canreef members over to my place over the years. Pretty much anybody I've dealt with has been over. I have no problems with doing this despite having a baby girl because I know, when push comes to shove, I can go berserker crazier than anybody I know if someone causes trouble or threatens my baby.

However, I wouldn't want my wife to be doing the same thing if I'm not there.

This is a question each person has to answer for themselves. Each member much know what is their comfort zone and safety level. Not to sound sexist, but in general, guys are & feel safer in today's society than women.

On a more positive note, almost everyone I've dealt with from the fish forums have been very nice people and I count several of them among my closest friends. In fact, many are coming over tomorrow for my baby's 2nd birthday bbq & most of them helped build my deck where we're going to party on.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've let tonza people in! I even had members that just wanted some decor, and asked if they could see everything~ Ofcourse, why not right? =) eveyrone's been nice so far.. as long as they take off their shoes and not ruin the carpet, and i'll be fine!~

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is where the length of time on this site and our iTrader numbers would have been nice to have kept. (as Adz said earlier)

Obviously you would likely trust someone who has interacted on this site for years. I always let people into my house who I have met here. I also have been to many people's houses too! It has been great to share.

Having said this, it really is up to the individual. Crimes don't always happen from people who show up one day. They had lives before, interacted with others and then something goes wrong. But honestly, this could just happen to you as you walk down the street.

My opinion, everyone here is great.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
i think i knew dave about a month before i sent my daughters laptop i bought her for xmas home with him so she wouldn't snoop and find it.....lol

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Before I have no problem with people coming, even for some I just met a first time or never dealt with but my wife, she raise a concern and make me skeptic about it. Kole have lost his tank because many comes to his place and I have 2 young children so really I have to concern more for my kids rather then my fish. So now only people that I dealt with before or I have been to there place then its ok with me but for those I never met or don't know where they live, I rather deal with them outside. Family on first.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think that if people do not want others at their home they usually like to meet up in a public place. As for me I've dealt with people on this forum 70+ times and I've always been let into people homes and they have been very kind to me, but then again I'm not scary or big looking. When people come to see me I usually let them in. Only a few times I've met people at the door with a fish in the bucket b/c we where painting very slowly in the basement were most of my tanks were so It was tricky to move around there for a little while. Anyways I have 2 dogs which keep people in line. They are both nice but my large dog was once a hunting dog and does show off her teeth at people if she feels threatend but I always keep them upstairs or out in the yard when people are over b/c some might feel put off by this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i guess it depends on the people...some like to be cautious and just meet others at a public place, some do not mind others being in their house...etc. if you think of it the other way(like as a buyer instead of the seller)...it is about the same. Like for example, how do you know if the buyer would not lock you into the house(extreme example)?...so it depends on trust and if you think the person is reliable(itrader, if the member is decently known to others..etc). sometimes i enjoy talking to the sellers at their places..and get ideas for my tank and so on...as to come to my place, my 10g tank is in my room...so not much to see anyways. haha

·
Registered
925 Posts
I think that besides enjoying very good deals, one of the best perks of doing business on here is the friendliness of people & seeing what others are doing who love this hobby. I have no qualms what so ever about letting folks in to see the tanks. In fact I wouldn't have a problem if someone just wanted to come by & see my tanks, no transaction necessary. I can honestly say though, I tend to feel snubbed & sort of ripped off when not invited in. 9 times out of 10 I won't do repeat business with someone if that is how I'm treated. Sometimes we travel long distances to make these transactions, even if it's not, to be cold shouldered at the door is very disappointing to say the least. That friendly contact, information shared & new foundations built are what makes this such a great forum community to belong to. IMHO

·
Registered
308 Posts
i've never thought about the dangers, i've always jjust let members in the house unless there buying something small like fish food, i'll bring it with me when I open the door to make it easier so they dont have to take their shoes off and be bothered by the dogs. I've also never been asked to wait outside when I went to a members house. Everyone I've dealt with has been extremely nice and more than happy to invite me in to do the deal and of course show off their nice set ups

1 - 20 of 41 Posts