British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not asking if one of your school of 45 red phantom tetras is Johnny Carson. :) Just if you have, say, a favourite pleco that swivels his eyes at you, or a betta that comes to the glass when you walk into the room.

As many of you know, I'm writing a story about the aquarium hobby right now (as a fish tank addict). It turns out that most people who don't have fish assume that fish don't have personalities and don't interact with their owners. So, I thought I'd ask you for your pet fish stories....

Thanks,
Maureen

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like to think my dwarf puffers do...They swim up to the glass (even if they are hiding in the plants) and look at me when I am close to the tank. Probably begging for food but its awesome

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Hi Maureen...you may get some insight if you look at my old threads page 3 03-14-2012 not the mama do your fish recognize you, another one how many people talk to thier fish and u know u r a fish geek when on page 5

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kathie, thank you! I found the thread and remembered it -- I'd even posted a response at the time. People had some great stories about their fish. And someone posted a picture of themselves staring into a tank and all the fish clumped at that end of the tank, staring back. Wonderful!

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/aqua...h-recognise-you-25643/index3.html#post1088593

Hi Maureen...you may get some insight if you look at my old threads page 3 03-14-2012 not the mama do your fish recognize you, another one how many people talk to thier fish and u know u r a fish geek when on page 5

·
Registered
495 Posts
My Oranda acts like a little puppy! When I walk in the room he swims up to say hello (really to check for food :lol: ), bolts away to hide, then comes back to say hello again. the funniest part is that he only does this for me, everyone else just freaks him/her out! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
My fish always hang out in whichever end of the 6' reef tank I'm nearest. However, I did an experiment the other day and they stayed at the end where my friend was and did NOT follow me to the other side so in this case, I have to say they just go where there is a "person" and do NOT recognize me specifically as their owner and supplier of food. I was a little surprised by this result.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coppercloud, I had to look up "oranda" to see what kind of fish that was. What a beautiful fish! I've heard that goldfish are very smart.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anthony, that's an interesting experiment. But, does your friend look a lot like you? Or, do you always feed your fish at one end of the tank, so that they know that if you go to the other end of the tank it's not worth their while to follow you and they might as well stay near the stranger at the food end?

I'd be interested in seeing what happens if you repeat this experiment with, say, your wife at the end of the tank (unless she customarily feeds the fish).

A friend of mine who is a science teacher, looked after her son's betta for a few months while he was away. She found that the fish would come to the front of the tank for her but not for anybody else, because she was the one who fed it. She didn't until then think that fish paid attention to people much at all, so this surprised her. She said that the fish recognized her, but on the other hand she is the only female in the house and about a foot shorter than everybody else, so it could be size more than anything.

My fish always hang out in whichever end of the 6' reef tank I'm nearest. However, I did an experiment the other day and they stayed at the end where my friend was and did NOT follow me to the other side so in this case, I have to say they just go where there is a "person" and do NOT recognize me specifically as their owner and supplier of food. I was a little surprised by this result.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Actually my friend did stay in the "feeding corner" but to me, that suggests it is habit rather than recognition of the human feeder we were seeing in action. I'll try a few other experiments and also replicate each experiment to develop more data and come to a firmer conclusion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts