British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What is the reason you want to make your own food? Cat food is a bit trickier than dog food. If they don't have enough things like taurine in their diet, they go downhill very fast. Especially a cat over 10, they might be more sensitive. I'd recommend switching to a decent raw food by brands like Natures Variety if you want the very best for your cat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If this is any help... this is what I do for my dog who appears much healthier and happier than before:
- Raw Lamb (Crudo)
- Kangaroo-based Kibble (Signature)
- Napa Cabbage or Choy Sum or Baby Bok Choy

Perhaps you can supplement her kibble with some veggies or raw meat if she is accepting of it?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im looking to change her diet as she is a manx and virtually has no tail just a little stub. I was told as they get older they can have trouble passing stool if it is hard as there is no muscles in the tail for her to push with. she isnt having problems yet but i hope to not let it get to that point.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can try supplementing the cats diet with plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling just plain pumpkin) it is very high in fibre and safe for cats and dogs. Have you spoken to your vet about your concerns? Formulating your own pet food can be very tricky as it must be balanced properly. There are also mild laxative/hairball products specifically made for cats if you do have problems. I recently had some issues with my cat being constipated and have switched him to a high fibre diet on the advice of my vet after going through a period of medication and laxative use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts