British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BCA,
Just wondering about the safety of driftwood from Harrison Lake. I was there this week and collected some really nice pieces and have them soaking in water right now to water log them....not sure wht type of wood they are, I am sure some of it may be cedar but these pieces have been drifting in the lake for a long time so I am thinking that any harmful oils or tannins or whatever have already leeched out of the wood.
thoughts?

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pacific, thanks for the information...Well as I said in previous posts, I cant tell if they are cedar or not...I can only guess. Given they are wet they do not smell like cedar as they really dont have any smell at all. I guess I could drill into them and see what it smells like. I look at it this way, there are thousands of cedar trees at the bottoms of freshwater lakes all over Canada and yet those lakes sustain fish life quite well (although I am sure some would argue that point). yes I know there is a difference in the shear volume of water versus numbers of trees, but given the fact that fish fry like to hide in and around submerged trees they would be the ones most susceptable to problems...Like I said, i will wait and see what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.