British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you find a peice of Driftwood, what is your best recommended method in getting it cured enough for aquarium use???

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't mean to hijack, but as another driftwood question.....where is the best place to find gnarly (as in righteous) driftwood? :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
free is better for sure! hmm where can you find a big enough pot to put a peice of wood in?? my gf's mom found just lying on the beach..So maybe do i just soak it for awhile??

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I know the wood I have leaches tannins, but the WC's I do take care of it. You can see the difference if I go a few days without one. if you have a big enough bin you could soak it, but expect it to take a while

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
free is better for sure! hmm where can you find a big enough pot to put a peice of wood in?? my gf's mom found just lying on the beach..So maybe do i just soak it for awhile??
dude .. what i do is take over the bath tub , grab all the big pots in the house , boil water , dump onto the wood in the tub , then repeat as needed [email protected]!

also you can use a kettle as well , then when wood is submerged add a cap of bleach and soak it !! for a day , then rinse and scrub !!

this has worked for me many times , i dont pay for wood > why ? if i look for it i can find it .. ;)

any more info , you know my digits [email protected]! :cool:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya no rush for me...i have another HUGE peice that i could use..it weighs like 30-40lbs..stands 2 ft high..massive peice

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dude .. what i do is take over the bath tub , grab all the big pots in the house , boil water , dump onto the wood in the tub , then repeat as needed [email protected]!

also you can use a kettle as well , then when wood is submerged add a cap of bleach and soak it !! for a day , then rinse and scrub !!

this has worked for me many times , i dont pay for wood > why ? if i look for it i can find it .. ;)

any more info , you know my digits [email protected]! :cool:
bathtub!!! why didnt i think of that! perfect idea..HEY LISA!! get those pots boilin' baby!.. :D:D...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yeah, I have a 80lb piece of driftwood sitting in a giant tub outside....It was already in Marius' tank for over a year and it is still leaching. Not much you can do to hurry it up unless you can boil the heck out of it repeatedly.

Man, does Target already have over 150 posts!?!? WOW! that's dedication.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm...that reminds me i should probably soak my huge peice again. it was leaking lots of tannins in my 120. a trip to superstore is needed.

·
Registered
567 Posts
We might as well just buy a large rubber maid bucket.. we're going to need it to move Kaleeko anyways!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts