British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, how often should the fluid in the drop checker be changed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump - Still hoping for an answer.......

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I change it every 2-3 weeks, most people that take better care of their tanks do it once a week! At least that's what I'm told!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I am due to change it then - Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
when I comes hard to read..

Honstly, I use my solution for almost 6 months before I change it out. I do add a "lot" more indicator in it when I make it tho. about 6-7 drops. still looks fine when I change it out.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Wait, that's ALOT? not trying to be mean or derail, but isn't the recommneded drops of ph inicator solution to be 5 drops?

And questions for the experts : adding more solution shouldn't make a difference should it? Shouldn't more solution actually darken the solution making it different to read than the general color chart of "yellow green blue"?

·
Registered
215 Posts
well.. adding more solution just makes the colour darker..

At a certain ph the indicator will always be the same colour (be it blue green or yellow). Adding more indicator just means the colour is darker. Personally I just find it easier to read...... I always aim for a green with a hint of yellow in my drop checkers.

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
I change mine every 4 - 6 months. Not because it no longer reads, but because I think I should :) . Just be sure you are using actual 4 DKH solution and not tank water as it will affect overall colour renditioning.

Best Regards,

Stuart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts