British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys buy yours? I get mine from theplantguy but I want to see if there's anything better or cheaper. Thx.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Micros and macros. I've been adding extra K with flourish potassium. But I need pretty much everything right now. I bought a bigger bottle of flourish a few weeks ago and already need more in the next week. I use the pps-pro method for dosing in my display tank.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I use Flourish and Iron. I never really measure properly, just squirt a bit in every now and then. Could I use dry ferts this way, putting a bit in now and then without any real measuring? Would it save money? I just keep easy plants like crypts, java fern, amazon swords, etc., but they do seem to appreciate my adding a bit of fertilizer irregularly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I buy my dry ferts from Pat at Canadian Aquatics which is cheaper than The Plant Guy.

@Matt, The Plant Guy also sells Nilogc's Thrive. He even sells it cheaper than Nilogc (although it seems like he's currently out of stock).

@TomC, if you want to save money, dry ferts is the way to go. I don't really like Flourish because it's very dilute so you're mostly paying for water. I'd rather mix my own from dry or go for ThePlantGuy's or Nilogc's solutions which are more concentrated.
You could make your own solution using online calculators (below) and dose without measuring if you want. Although, looking at your plant list the crypts and swords are heavy root feeders which don't get their nutrients from the water column so water column dosing wouldn't be as beneficial for them.
Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was just wondering, you said you got dry ferts before and you ran out? How large is your tank? How much were you dosing?
I'd think that if you ran out of dry ferts, then you'd run out of pre-mixed liquid ferts even faster.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pat from Canadian Aquatics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts