British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 1 male dwarf gourami and 2 female. One female was almost as colourful as my male (but definitely female) and the other still pretty drab gray. 3 days ago, the male started spawning behaviour with the much more drab and smaller one.

The next morning, I found my colourful female dead near the bubblenest and the male still spawning with the other female. I figured that he would spawn with both of them.

Is it possible he thought the female was a male, and killed her?

·
Registered
167 Posts
More likely he was just protecting his breeding area... How large is the tank? Maybe there wasn't enough room for the three of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More likely he was just protecting his breeding area... How large is the tank? Maybe there wasn't enough room for the three of them.
It's a 33 gallon tank - 31.5" long. It's moderately planted and there's (I thought) plenty of hiding places.

Bad news continues in that I've lost one of my otos as well. I thought it would be a big enough tank, but apparently not.

This sucks - I hate losing fish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a pretty big tank!

Can you put a divider in the tank for a little while?
That might be a good idea. I'd have to rescape everything since there's a big piece of driftwood I'd have to move, but I didn't even think of that.

Thanks for the idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts