British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, with the warning of a possible earthquake here in BC this weekend, does anyone know what we could do to keep our fishes safe? Is there anything we could do at all? Please share your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Get a battery operated air pump or a UPS device to keep a sponge filter going.

For temperature concerns you can just put a blanket over your canopy to retain heat. It'll be the air\filteration you want to be concerned about from my understanding.

·
Registered
752 Posts
were did u see that i googled it and there is no warning of anykind i seen for earthquake in vancouver i know u guys have them all the time but they are deep ones

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just for all reading it was not a earthquake warning it was a Tsunami warning from the aftermath of japans earthquake and it was canceled so dont worry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get a battery operated air pump or a UPS device to keep a sponge filter going.

For temperature concerns you can just put a blanket over your canopy to retain heat. It'll be the air\filteration you want to be concerned about from my understanding.
How about securing a tank to its stand so that it doesn't fall off? Is there any way to do this?

·
Registered
693 Posts
i moved out here from the east coast and earthquakes terrify me. i thought earthquakes were all centered around the california area and i rarely heard about them up here. so it never occured to me one would hit here. mann...i get scared whenever a truck drives by and things start shaking!! :eek:

·
Registered
327 Posts
How about securing a tank to its stand so that it doesn't fall off? Is there any way to do this?
duct tape! I keep m y tanks securely duct taped to my stands at all times. and remember don't accepta any off brand versions, it has got to be duct tape.

If we were to have an earthquake big enough to destroy things such as in Japan, my fish tanks would be the last thing on my mind.
I actually keep a box of drinking straws in my emergency prep box for such just an occasion. drinking water would become very precious and those with large or many tanks will survive where others will perish!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
duct tape! I keep m y tanks securely duct taped to my stands at all times. and remember don't accepta any off brand versions, it has got to be duct tape.

I actually keep a box of drinking straws in my emergency prep box for such just an occasion. drinking water would become very precious and those with large or many tanks will survive where others will perish!
rofl........

·
Registered
997 Posts
Seriously? Or a joke? Like Duck brand, or the 3M? Personally, I think Gorilla tape is stronger than both combined.

I also think that Gorilla tape wouldn't be able to adhere to and manage to support 10 gallons of water at 8lbs per gallon or 80lbs in the event of an earthquake. Maybe if you drilled holes in the tank (remembering to countersink), drove screws through it into a beam, siliconed a piece of glass or acrylic to the area with the screws and had it sitting on a stand that was also secured to a wall.... really... duct tape?

·
Registered
327 Posts
ok, I re read the whole post and just wanted to add that this is a valid question and something that I myself have pondered.

I am almost certain that none of the commercial stands are seismically rated as well as the tanks. so if and when the big one does come there is probably a very good chance that tanks and stands will both or singularly fail.

I suppose that it does make some sense to try and secure your tank to the stand, but depending on your stand style, a strengthened lip on the bottom would be about the only practical way to achieve this, or perhaps a construction adhesive between the tank and stand, but that poses other maintenance issues.

·
Registered
752 Posts
could u drink fish water i know when i tried to get a hose going got a mouth full of fish water wasent verry tasty at all . but on other hand bbq fish is good

·
Registered
997 Posts
I am almost certain that none of the commercial stands are seismically rated as well as the tanks. so if and when the big one does come there is probably a very good chance that tanks and stands will both or singularly fail.
Is the location of your tank seismically sound? Not just you, but anyone who's more concerned about their fish than themselves...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is the location of your tank seismically sound? Not just you, but anyone who's more concerned about their fish than themselves...
I am not really concerned about it, just something that I have considered. my building isn't very seismically stable, it's about a 30 year old wood frame lowrise condo building. so I am guessing that there will be water pipe failures, if or when it does happen and the water from a few tanks won't really make a difference, that's if the building doesn't completely fail.

could u drink fish water i know when i tried to get a hose going got a mouth full of fish water wasent verry tasty at all . but on other hand bbq fish is good
if you are dehydrated, I am sure that it would taste good. as long as you didn't have any meds going, I am sure that it would be perfectly fine to drink, especially with a few drops of bleach added. all the more reason to keep up on your water changes too, speaking of which, I gotta go .... :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am not really concerned about it, just something that I have considered. my building isn't very seismically stable, it's about a 30 year old wood frame lowrise condo building. so I am guessing that there will be water pipe failures, if or when it does happen and the water from a few tanks won't really make a difference, that's if the building doesn't completely fail.

if you are dehydrated, I am sure that it would taste good. as long as you didn't have any meds going, I am sure that it would be perfectly fine to drink, especially with a few drops of bleach added. all the more reason to keep up on your water changes too, speaking of which, I gotta go .... :)
well in that case im gonna keep some ice ta mix and lemonade just in case

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Earthquake here? Where abouts? :S

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
What you do is secure the stand to the wall. The problem is that in a big earthquake, the glass tanks will mostly blow out. Any tanks that survive may not get through the massive & extended power outages. As we saw with Japan, one of the main things that are damaged during big earthquakes are the power grid. Lines down, generators blown.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts