British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on going to Solar tomorrow like you guys said! FINALLY HAVE A DAY OFF! Anyways, I would like to write down everything I need! Like you said, they will know what I want when I ask, but do I give them the scientific coding and look like a maniac or do I just ask for something like potassium! :rolleyes:

I know I need these 3 things for sure:
KNO3, Kh2PO4, AND K2SO4
Those are my macros as I learnt from you guys! :)

And there is the trace:
Which is what I've been using Seachem Flourish! BUT is there another trace that will be better that I can buy there?

As Jonney_boy was saying, if I have red plants, I should get???

And 2wheelsx2, you said GH boost... do i need that? You were saying get epsom salt and something paris?

=) I just need to write down everything I need to buy exactly! I seriously dun wanna make a second trip out there, I hate crossing bridges with nowaday traffic!

I wanna thank you two again VERY MUCH!
And hope this thread completely helps others too!

·
Registered
695 Posts
As you walk in, it's on the right hand side among a whole bunch of other products.
Just mention your on BCA and they will give you a 12 percent discount. You can tell them the name of the chemical or just show them the list.
As for the trace I am using their own solar brand and it does have iron in it. There is EDTA and DTPA iron in it. Can't remember the percentage. If you have red plants, then you can supplement with iron as well.
I don't really know how good their own brand of trace element is compared to say Seachem Flourish or Plantex CSM+B, or some others but it works for me.
To boost the hardness of the water (GH and KH), you can use MgSo4 (Magnesium Sulphate aka Epsom Salt) for the GH, and Plaster of Paris to raise the KH of the water and provide Calcium. You can buy Plaster of Paris at a craft store like Michael's. That's what I use and I think that's what 2Wheels use as well.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Sheesh...look away for 5 minutes and I'm on the title of a thread! :p

Captured moments got it all. Right on the money. DAP plaster of Paris and Michael's. It'll last you 25 years unless you're going to use it to actually make something. :D

I got my Epsom Salts at London Drugs but I think Costco sells it too. Solar also sells it but of course for a bit more. I actually get the trace from Solar and it works great in my lower light 125 gallon. It's call "Trace nutrients". Catchy name huh?

Flourish works fine. Nothing wrong with it. I just hate paying for water. Although I am now using Tailored Aquatics Amazon Elements which is really expensive water. :D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate the wait time online.. thats one thing for sure...!
It's the fun of shopping for products and having experienced hobbyist on here that already have tried everything!
And if there is a problem with my order when it comes, I would definitely slap myself in the face to go through all the hassle jsut for saving myself a few bucks!

But thank you for the offer =) But i rather pick things up locally!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sheesh...look away for 5 minutes and I'm on the title of a thread! :p

Captured moments got it all. Right on the money. DAP plaster of Paris and Michael's. It'll last you 25 years unless you're going to use it to actually make something. :D

I got my Epsom Salts at London Drugs but I think Costco sells it too. Solar also sells it but of course for a bit more. I actually get the trace from Solar and it works great in my lower light 125 gallon. It's call "Trace nutrients". Catchy name huh?

Flourish works fine. Nothing wrong with it. I just hate paying for water. Although I am now using Tailored Aquatics Amazon Elements which is really expensive water. :D
So I have the 3 macros to pick up! The Solar trace to pick up!
Since I still have alkaline buffer left.. I guess I don't need salt and plaster of paris? (These two are for GH boosting right?)

Otherwise, those 4 things is all i need for growing plants?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? IT TOOK ME OVER A WEEK TO FIGURE AND PUT ALL THIS TOGETHER AND AT THE END YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THIS IS GOING TO COST ME $20 THAT'LL LAST ME A YEAR AND ALL THATS BASICALLY THE ESTIMATED FORUMLA OF GROWING PLANTS?

WHERE THE HECK HAVE A BEEN ALL THESE YEARS :eek: Im an idiot!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Oh, don't you worry, the cha-ching will come. CO2 regulator, reactor, needlewheel, Mazzei injectors, stainless steel planting tools, CO2 tubing, $50 needle valves, manifolds for splitting the lines....and have you seen the prices on T5HO tubes like Giesman, and Tek lights and Metal Halides?

Then there are Starphire cube tanks, ADA aquasoil....the list goes on. We have ways of making you spend money....:p

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW! But I'm only planning on using gravel with root tabs!

DIY CO2 pop bottle with fluval 3 plus connected to split the bubbles!
Have 2x 6700 aquaglo and 1x 10k aquaglo 28w each!

Now to pick up the plant food!
Since I don't plan on getting a co2 canister anytime soon, I guess those won't apply for now =) besides.. wifey will beat my ass to the ground!

I have much to learn for ya 2wheelsx2
Much appreciated, learnt ALOT!

So all i need, is to buy what you told me to, and follow my mentors list =) easy as that! WOW

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Now to pick up the plant food!
Since I don't plan on getting a co2 canister anytime soon, I guess those won't apply for now =) besides.. wifey will beat my ass to the ground!
That's what I thought too. You just wait and see....once you see someone's CO2 injected tank, you'll be sunk. You're welcome to come and see mine. :p

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
=) Can I offer coffee some time? LOL! I seriously seriously have to see it!

BTW.. you got PM, hehe, serious question, I got myself confused again! LOL!! ANd I'm about to go out and buy this stuff!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I agree with Gary, I thought I'd be fine without the Co2 and dosing. Now I want the whole works. It took less than a month for me to decide i wanted the full planted experience. Now to save for the set up.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
O.O now since you said that! I actually have 2 x fluval 3 plus in there... maybe I should double the DIY co2 LOL!!
What size tank is this? There is such as thing as overkill when it comes to CO2 (for your fishes).

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I see. It's only my opinion, but I think you'd be amazed at what a little CO2 will do with plain gravel. And in your 60 gallons, DIY is insufficient, but it certainly helps. This is 168 w Coralife NO t5 with 2 points of CO2 injection, dosing with EI just like I told you, in plain gravel (of course 90% of the plants are ephiphytes - don't know substrate):

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.