British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in the LFS and felt sorry for a very small elephant nose in a bare tank. I brought him home to my well planted tetra tank. There are three caves to choose from and nobody to harm him. I have neons, rasboras, emperors and congos, plus pleco and corys. If I feed him worms, his preferred food, will he eat my neons? anybody had that happen before?:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would take him a few years to be big enough to consider eating a neon. I think everyone will be safe. Feed it well and lots, and if you can give it live food once a week it will become well established quickly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd be willing to bet you'll see neons start disappearing soon. They're a pretty small fish, and even a small elephant nose has a mouth that could eat them. They are nocturnal so will eat the others when they're asleep at night. Might work OK if you keep it well fed, but if you love your neons I personally wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yesterday I was in the LFS and felt sorry for a very small elephant nose in a bare tank. I brought him home to my well planted tetra tank. There are three caves to choose from and nobody to harm him. I have neons, rasboras, emperors and congos, plus pleco and corys. If I feed him worms, his preferred food, will he eat my neons? anybody had that happen before?:confused:
A single Elephant Nose will never be happy. I kept a colony for years in a tank with smaller fish no problems. They do way better in a group. They send out electrical impulses looking for friends. If none around they will try to jump out of the tank. I really liked those guys. Fun to watch.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A group is great to watch, but I don't think only keeping two or even three is a good idea, maybe 4 or 5 would be good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts