British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
starting a thread that was on the last forum...

starting with one I just learned and a couple I have known for a while...

1 when moving tanks... its best to use a plastic garbage can to save your water... you can usaly save around 50 % on a 60 -70 gal tank... then use cycle or the seachem version to restore your tanks bio...

2 this one I just found out and actually just baught today... have not even used it yet... alright the idea is connecting a hose to the tap... my understanding is you can do the really cheap if you look around... but if your like me just go down to rona and get the adapters and the clear hose... then connect it up to your sink tap or bathroom tap... it saves your back.. and saves carrying around heavy buckets of water... then after its connected to your tap into the tank it goes... like i said... I have not used it yet... I am about to move... but this one I think is a thing of beauty...

3 now for people on a budget... I do not do this... i use buffers, prime, and stability... but my understanding is that buffers is really nothing more then baking soda... and water if you let it sit in a bucket over night... harmful things in the water will evaporate... ( and plz this is a secret page lets not get into that debate about baking soda and buffers plz)...

please share with some of your secrets... so I am just not giving away all of mine... will add a couple more later... when I have a couple in return

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very true... if you use these tactics... and everyone you know uses them... then yes these tactics would not be secrets... but I am sure We do have many members that are not as advanced as the high ranking members... there are members on this forum that i know for a fact that have tons of little secrets that will help out a person who is just starting out with their tanks and this hobby... and we can assist those members with our secrets to advanced them... my knowledge is right around mid range...

·
Registered
179 Posts
for filter material I used to use pantyhose sock with polyester pillow form stuffing....easy to shape for the most part...but may restrict flow if you have too much stuffing...got to make sure it's loose and fluffy

·
Registered
308 Posts
dividers can be easily made for around a 1$ each by using craft mesh and slide grip report cover spines. much nice than paying $10-$15 for one from the lfs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya those plastic scrubbers are great!... would of never thought to put that on... baught them at the grocery store... so they got to be cheaper at the dollar store... those work great in a sump....

·
Registered
65 Posts
the secret is the water imo. water changes..and lots of them..quarantine,then medicate sick fish..salt is a great treatment for a lot of ailments,less side effects and cheap..this seems to work for me,..chillin

·
Registered
241 Posts
1 when moving tanks... its best to use a plastic garbage can to save your water... you can usaly save around 50 % on a 60 -70 gal tank... then use cycle or the seachem version to restore your tanks bio...
If you go to Home depot you can get the home depot bucket and lid. Once the lids are on they are 100% sealed, and the only way to remove the lid is breaking the plastic ring (like the milk jug cap). I guess its only 5 gallons, but the lids are relatively cheap (and we all need more buckets anyway), and you are sure not to have a nasty spill in the car!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
#2 is not really a secret. Most people use it. check out Python water changing hoses.

Here is a video for you:
Using a Python Hose to Change Fish Tank Water: Fish & Tank Care | eHow.com
thats an awesome mullet

plastic scrubbers make the best in-filter media; beats sponges and bioballs. 6 for a dollar at your looney store:)
they also make excellent intake guards/prefilters
and thats an awesome idea, a bit ironic that something for cleaning is so great at housing bacteria

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
more secrets would be nice to see

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
i have a trick i use for stripping fry from mouthbrooding cichlids after 3 weeks so that they dont all get eaten when the female spits. lots of people try to hold them in their hand and pry the mouth open but if you go to the dollar store and get a really small funnel and put the holding female in there head down holding her tailfin with your thumb thats holding the funnel so she doesnt jump out, when you see her gills flare pour some of the tankwater into the funnel and it will backflush the eggs out of her mouth and into the floating breeder box or whatever you want the fry in, then she can go back to eating and the vast majority of fry survive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
U could also use your garden house which is on sale at time for as less at $15.
and a faucet to hose adapter from Rona, for $6

Compared to $50-60, although its only a fill only system, i still have to empty out the water using a 5 g buckets, luckily my tank is inches away from an exterior door with a foot or two away from my lawn, I can literally though the water from inside the house/garage where the tank is :)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
instead of using a siphon if your just doing a water change, if you have a canister filter just turn it off and use the intake hose :p

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
instead of using a siphon if your just doing a water change, if you have a canister filter just turn it off and use the intake hose :p
How about putting a T to the return line. Redirect flow to drain line and use the pump to quickly drain the water.

·
Registered
948 Posts
To cycle a new tank with a new filter, I usually swap 50% of the filter media between the new and an old filter and let it run for a few days. A quicker way is just to run an old filter on the new tank for a few days. (You need to have more than one running filters or tanks) To cycle a salt water tank, I throw in a couple of frozen shrimps in the tank, once they disappeared, tank is ready.

To treat fresh water ich, raise your tank temperature and add aquarium salt (I raise tank temperature to 82-83F)

To treat salt water ich, garlic extract works the best (I have never used any chemical or medicines in my tanks)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
To treat salt water ich, garlic extract works the best (I have never used any chemical or medicines in my tanks)
Garlic extract is not a cure per se, but an appetite stimulant which helps the fish deal with the ich (cryptocaryon irritans) parasite. The parasite remains active, only at a lower level of infection where the familiar white specks are not able to be seen. The fish lives with the infection much like how somebody can live with diabetes, for example. However, since the parasite has not been eradicated there is a risk of continuing flare ups during times of stress.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

·
Registered
491 Posts
if you have a water safe wet vaccum that will also work for water changes... LOL jk.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts