British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post a couple of photos of the results of poor maintenance and crowding.
The following photos are of traded in fish (donation) that I feel give great examples of what can happen to fish when not maintained or bought on impulse. The first is of a RTG, of which I have four at the moment. The other three are in great shape but as you can see by the photo, the fourth is not. We virtually never order RTG unless a request is made and there is suitable space provided.
The second is of a beautiful wild oscar from our show tank. Next to it is a donated Oscar. Notice the difference in the body length compared to the wild oscar. Their heads are the same size however.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I feel so sorry for that Red Tail Catfish. I think that I first saw him pretty close to when he was traded in. He was lively, would follow my fingers, & looked like he was wanting attention. Now when I see him he just sits there looking sad. Reminds me of a depressed dog that you'd see at the SPCA that has realized that his family is never coming back for him.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one came in very recently. The others we have are in great shape but still too big for most hobbyists.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Oh, my God! These photos are gut-wrenching. Is there any chance that the fish will recover and reach their full potential?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. The damage is done. It is possible to fix gill curl to some extent but this is pretty bad. As far as the Oscar goes, it cant be reversed.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
This one came in very recently. The others we have are in great shape but still too big for most hobbyists.
I thought that he come in about 2 weeks ago, but I've been to IPU so many times lately it's getting hard to keep track! My son saw that Red Tail Catfish & begged me to buy him, so I had to explain how huge they get.

The other ones are very nice. I was really impressed with your livestock last time I was in. That little threadfin catfish, or whatever it was, is awesome!

·
Registered
568 Posts
That's too bad :( that gill curl is pretty extreme.. and the Oscar.. well it looks like he was never given a chance to be at his full potential!! :(

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wow Thank you Rastapus for the photo's. I used to be a bit skeptical of the whole stunting thing. (I know I will get many dirty looks for that) But now I see the extreme damage that it can really do. I am happy that the fish are now in your care though. And I am also very pleased to hear that you are working towards educating people on the horrific things fish have to endure to make them (so called more appealing) more colorful.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought that he come in about 2 weeks ago, but I've been to IPU so many times lately it's getting hard to keep track! My son saw that Red Tail Catfish & begged me to buy him, so I had to explain how huge they get.

The other ones are very nice. I was really impressed with your livestock last time I was in. That little threadfin catfish, or whatever it was, is awesome!
The Threadfin Paradise, yes very interesting fish.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow Thank you Rastapus for the photo's. I used to be a bit skeptical of the whole stunting thing. (I know I will get many dirty looks for that) But now I see the extreme damage that it can really do. I am happy that the fish are now in your care though. And I am also very pleased to hear that you are working towards educating people on the horrific things fish have to endure to make them (so called more appealing) more colorful.
Thanks OCD,
The more aware hobbyists in BC can be the healthier the hobby will be. Many people get into this hobby only to be discouraged and disappointed. We are trying to ensure this is less likely to happen in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
anyone wanting to get a redtailed catfish should have to take a trip to the vancouver aquarium and see the one in the amazon tank. Those guys get big!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts