British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the large storm forecasted for this week, there is a chance that extended power outages will come with it. I thought it might be useful to start up a thread to share relevant advice and experiences.

How do you keep your tanks heated?

How do you handle a lack or loss of filtration?

Stories of past experiences?

Tips?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Depends on tank size. Also how long power outages are. We've been lucky bc hydro has been relatively quick at fixing down lines.

Get a battery powered air pumps. Put Styrofoam on side of tanks and blanket to cover. If you have very expensive fish or very sensitive livestock. A generator will come in handy. But you can't run them late at night. Just plug in heater, Air pump and cheap power heads because without pure ac sinewave can wreck your expensive ecotech pumps, don't even run your filter just cheap air pump. Cheaper generator doesn't produce clean AC powerand it can wreck some electronically

Last windstorm, mind you I think it was only 6-7 hours power outage in my areai didn't loose any livestock. I have saltwater and freshwater cichlids tank. Just by Styrofoam and blanket.. Bacteria in your filter will survive unless it's a few days outage.

I in previous years I have boiled water to Luke warm on propane stove and attached mugs inside tanks I put the luke warm water in the mugs so it's not directly to the tank water to keep water from dropping under 18 degrees. I try not to heat it up too high make up to 20-21 but this was only most of the fishes I have will be fine under this temp during emergency.

I'm sure other with fishroom with multiple tanks or sensitive livestock will chime in with their experience. Unfortunately even if your house uses natural gas for heat the fan and other electronics doesn't work without electricity. You can probably get someone to have the furnace to take in a generator as a backup power atleast with this you can heat up the whole house and only have to worry about keeping the tank oxigenated

·
Registered
420 Posts
That is a very LARGE question. So many factors to consider? How long is the outage? Is the power on, then off, then on, then off? Saltwater or freshwater aquarium? How big is the tank? Does the tank contain live plants? Is the tank in a naturally well-lit room or in the dark (basement)? Can the tank be re-located to a "sunnier" room with daylight? Does the room have an alternate source of heat during an outage (Fireplace? Generator?)?

As for my experience: There has been only one 2-hour power outage (in autumn) since I set up my aquarium. Usually, this freshwater tank maintains its heat at 23C with only ambient room temperature (i.e. without a tank heater) and whatever minimal heat the fluorescent tubes emit overhead for 10 hours a day. The water may have dropped a degree during the 2-hour outage . . . but with no ill affects whatsoever on the fishes or plants it contains.

If the power outage were "expected" to be longer than a day, I would secure pillows or fleece blankets around the sides and top to help "slow down" the cooling of the water. Beyond a couple days, i do not know what I would do. Given that outages in Chilliwack are usually very short lived, I'll just keep my fingers and toes crossed that a longer outage will not happen. :0)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts