British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to create a new thread for this as my other one was getting quite long with alot that has already been decided, I hope you don't mind, please merge if its a problem.

Ok so I went with the Osaka 155L, it comes in next week, it looks like this:
Mr.Pet's

I was discussing filtration a bit thanks to some very helpful individuals, trying to wrap my head around the concepts of flow, GPH, bypass etc. I think I now have a pretty good idea so I have narrowed my filter choices down to 3, and was hoping more knowlegable and experienced than I might be able to add to my list of pros and cons.

Fluval 305 - $80
CONS
-leak prone more than others, is this accurate? or internet myth? I go away alot so this would be a major concern for me. I have heard its avoidable by replacing the O-Rings every year, and using some vaseline. How big of a problem is this? I hope I don't ignite an argument with this question!
-pain for maintenance and to open up.
PROS
-cheap, LFS has offered it to me for $80 new because I bought my tank there
-Tank is also fluval brand, I don't know if this is any kind of benefit to have the same bran filter/tank.
-nice quality hose attachment to make sure input/outputs stay put no matter what, I tend to be careless, and also have a young and curious 3 year old so this was important to me.

Rena XP3 - $125
CONS
-ugly blue/grey input tubes, what the heck were they thinking? this would stick out like a sore thumb on a black fluorite sand substrate and black background, unfortuneatly athetics are important in this setup, so this is a major con for me.
PROS
-can integrate a heater unit with it so one less item in the tank.
-seems to have a good track record for reliability.

Eheim ProII 2126 with media $254
CONS
-pricier @ $178
-ugly green tubing, can someone confirm they use the green intake in the tank as well or is it black? I was hoping the tubing was only green
-no media comes with
-less flow than others
PROS
-eheim seems to be the leader in reliability from reading reviews
-integrated heater which comes with the unit.
-quality construction

As is, if the intake/outake tubing is black on the Eheim pro2 2126 I would probly lean that way, its unfortunate, the XP3 is also a very nice filter and would save some $$$$, I just cannot get over how much that blue/grey tubing would stick out in my tank, is this replaceable? anything else I should know about these filters?

Value wise Fluval seems like a great deal, especially with the hose attachment system and my household, however if its a common occurance in these to leak more than others, its a deal breaker, I don't mind if the maintenance is a little harder, but don't want 40 gallon on the floor!

·
Super Moderator
5,275 Posts
It seems like your main con of the systems, is the colour of the intake and output. You can spray paint these accessories with Krylon Fusion for Plastic . I've done this with Aquaclear intakes and Fluval spraybars with good results. After spray painting you will need to cure the paint for 7 days before it is fish safe. Reefers also use this paint for painting PVC in their tanks.

I like Fluvals (never had one leak from new). After using for 1-1/2 years of use I put one in dry storage and the O-ring lealed when I put it back in use. I replaced the O-Ring and it has worked fine since. Please note I have only used the 105 and 205 units with only the one small problem. I have used Eheim Eccos and I really like them but these units are a slow path filter and the circulation is limited. If it were me, I would go with the Eheim 2126 option.

I Hope this helps,

Stuart

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i have a fluval 303 and as long as you use vaseline it seems to not leak from the main compartment.. sometimes i gets some leaking from the tube connections so i always have the canister in a bucket, also the fluval seems to be louder then the rena

My rena xp4 tho is great.. I find it quiet and yea i would just paint the intake and output tubes

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the feedback, I like the fluval filters, just the leaking reports do worry me, being in the basement, and myself going out of town alot, I have disaster scenarios swirling around in my head, but I also know its easy for things to snowball on the internet, and it can get a bad name unfairly.

Would you guys invest the extra $125 into the eheim pro? It saves me having to buy a heater which is not much, but other than that is it really giving me that much more reliability for the extra money? $125 is not much over an aquarium life, but at the same time I want to be sure I am getting value for the extra spent.

And thanks for the paint link, never thought about that..... The XP3 lost alot of points with me with the colors they chose for the intakes and such, so this brings it right back up to the top. Its a tough choice!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
personally i'd get the eheim, i've got an ecco and have no issues with it, the only cons for them as far as im concerned is it can sometimes be tricky to find stores with the filter media in stock, so stock up when you find it. and one PRO that you missed is they are the quietest filters.
when i went to IPU the salesman said not to worry about the lower flow rate of the eheims because they have more efficient bio filtration which makes up for that. he showed me one in the store that had been running for 11 years and that pretty much sold me. (and the fact that its german made and not made in china)
and yes both the tubes are green

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
well remember to take advantage of online deals if you are not in a rush.. I used pets and pond for the xp4.. but i think you'll have to get eheim from big als (and use the code for the 15%off!!)... seems way cheaper then buying from a LFS... pets and pond is faster shipping tho and has a higher amount for free freight

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah the Eheim 2126 is $299 with media included which is on sale already, regular priced $449, then I get another 15% off which brings it down to $250 with all the media, so it seems like a pretty good buy. The 2026 version without heater is on sale for $199 with 15% off then I could always get an inline heater, so both these seem to be good buys, but they are still more than the XP3, and much more that what I can get the Fluval 305 for, but like I mentioned I don't mind spending a bit extra now, as this aquarium will be with me for a while, as long as I get value back over the long term.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I swear by the xp3, had it for almost 2 years and it runs silent, only had to take out the micro filtration pad to have constant flow, found it a bit easier to clean than the Fluvals.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
well remember to take advantage of online deals if you are not in a rush.. I used pets and pond for the xp4.. but i think you'll have to get eheim from big als (and use the code for the 15%off!!)... seems way cheaper then buying from a LFS... pets and pond is faster shipping tho and has a higher amount for free freight
the last 3 times i went to big als they said they stopped doing that 15% discount for bca members years ago
whats the trick to getting it?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
i havent been ordering online i mean when you go to the IPU store, did they stop doing it when ipu took over from big als?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The Eheim Pro II's come with the intake and outlet kits which are grey and black. But those Pro II's are discontinued. They have 2 main issues: The main gasket wears out and causes a leak (about every 2 - 3 years) and the main double tap can crack if you do a lot of work on the filter (which I do). The new Pro III's have addressed those 2 issues as far as I know. If I were you I would look at a 2075.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i think IPU is diff from big als... big als is ok to order from and of course online is gonna be a lot cheaper then buying from in a store

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Eheim Pro II's come with the intake and outlet kits which are grey and black. But those Pro II's are discontinued. They have 2 main issues: The main gasket wears out and causes a leak (about every 2 - 3 years) and the main double tap can crack if you do a lot of work on the filter (which I do). The new Pro III's have addressed those 2 issues as far as I know. If I were you I would look at a 2075.
Thanks, the 2075 is a nice unit as well, $249 is about what I was looking at with the integrated heater, and I definetly don't want a unit that is prone to leaks, thank you again! are the intakes also grey/black? I am going out tonight, a friend of mine a town over has an XP3 running, so its always nice to see these things in person.

Does anyone know with Big als price protection if they match the price, as well as do the 15% off still?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I would send them an e mail

i got some quotes once from petsandpond and it was more then 15% off big als.. They did the price match and gave me a 5% discount... That was before I was a BCA member

never hurts to ask tho

·
Registered
743 Posts
Rena just cant be beaten for power and reliability. The grey pipes always agreed with me. They are almost a non colour in my tanks.
The versatility of the media baskets is a real plus for experimenting with different stuff.
FYI the xp3 and xp4 are only 30$ difference at King ed with at least 30% higher gph on the xp4 and a throttling valve on the return pipe you really cant go wrong.
Performance and reliability always over appearance. thats why I drive a Subaru!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts