British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few eggs from a friend of mine today. Her Red Cap Orandas just keep spawning, but she seems to be unsuccessful in raising the fry.

This time, I got a few eggs (15-20) from her to try and raise them. From her information, it seems that the eggs are 3 days old. I can see tiny eyes on them and a few white ones too.

I searched online and found hardly any details on fancy goldfish eggs and fry growth rate.

My question is:
1. How long do the eggs take to hatch?
2. How fast do they grow (assuming I feed them live food like microworms and live BBS 2-3 times a day) + 15% WC every other day.

If anyone here has any experience in raising fancy goldfish from eggs, please share your knowledge here. :)

·
Banned
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
If the eggs are 3 days old they will hatch any time. Then in another 3 days they will have used up their yolk sac and will start swimming around. Once they are in the free swimming stage you can start feeding them. They grow fast. Under ideal conditions such as an outdoor pond with a constant supply of live food they can grow around 1/2" per month. In an aquarium I would expect to see about half that. An interesting thing about fancy goldfish is that often times they don't all grow at the same rate. You will find some of the fry grow much faster than others.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ohh I love goldfish love children!!!

Perhaps some malachite green would prevent fungussing?

We want pics (and a paternity test) when they are bigger :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the information.

I realize that some fry will grow slower than others. I believe its the same for any fish. I looked at them today morning and they look fine (still white with eyes on them). There is about 2 white ones, I am thinking of removing them...

I will try to take pics and post them in the future, but you can expect videos instead since I find taking a video is much less of a hassle.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
none of the eggs hatched :(

Apparently my friend had some success and most of her eggs hatched. Maybe there was some problems related to how she transported it.

oh well, I guess I will wait till next time :D

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
you would have to have the exact water..changing ph or hardness..etc when you move them..its over. or bacteria levels..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts