British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
We are pleased to announce an exciting new contest!

John came up with the great idea that we should have a 'BCAquaria Photo Caption Contest'. This is not a traditional photo contest where we want to see beautiful National Geographic style photos ...this contest is all about the caption working with the aquatic creature photographed. You don't need to have a fancy DSLR camera or be a graduate of the Langara College photography diploma program to enter this contest, you just need to be able to take a picture (with your iPhone, tablet, digital camera, whatever) of your tank inhabitant(s) and think of something to write on it that is funny/clever/cute/thought-provoking/??.

Here are some examples:

(created by Diztrbd1 using Windows 7 draw program)

(created by Diztrbd1 using Windows 7 draw program)

(created by Pamela with a free app called 'InstaCaption')

There are a few different ways for people to add text/captions onto their photos. There are various Apple & Android apps for adding text and some photo hosting sites such as Photobucket allow you to add text. You can also do it in the Windows 7 draw program. If you are unable to add the caption to your photo yourself, you can pm your photo to either Diztrbd1 or Pamela and we will do it for you ...please make sure you include the caption written exactly as you want it on your photo.

Rules:

- contest entries will be accepted from now until midnight on Saturday February 15, 2014

- entries will be posted on a poll thread for forum members to vote on from Sunday February 16 through to midnight on Friday February 28, 2014

- if there is a tie for 1st place, the names of the persons with tie votes will be placed in a hat and a winner will be randomly drawn

- you must have a minimum of 15 posts to be able to enter this contest

- you must have been a BCAquaria member on or before January 31, 2014 to be eligible to vote for the winners ...we will be verifying this

- only one entry per person

- photo must be taken by you (it's okay if it's an old photo)

- photo must be of your own aquatic pet, so don't go to the Vancouver Aquarium and take a photo of a dolphin!

- only photos of aquatic creatures are allowed, e.g. fish, shrimps, snails, frogs, turtles, etc.

How to enter:

Please send your photo by pm to either Pamela or Diztrbd1. We will send you a pm to acknowledge that we've received your photo entry. All entries will be posted on Sunday February 16th on a poll thread to decide the winners. DO NOT POST YOUR PHOTO ENTRIES ON THIS THREAD!

The Prizes:

1st prize is a $50 gift certificate for Island Pets Unlimited
2nd prize is a $25 gift certificate for any one of BCA's sponsors (donated by Petguide.com)
3rd prize is a $20 gift certificate for Canadian Aquatics

A great big THANK YOU to Island Pets Unlimited, Petguide.com, and Canadian Aquatics for their generous prize donations!

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Great idea John, and Pamela for coming up with this brilliant idea and getting sponsors. I love this idea very much. The 3 pictures you guys did are so funny.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. we will put up a $20 gift card to use in canadian aquatics as well.
That's awesome, thank you so much Charles :D! I will update my first post to add the Canadian Aquatics gift card.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
If you can't figure it out Laurie, just send it to me and I can do it for ya buddy. I was gonna make a tutorial but after realizing there were multiple operating systems, pone apps, hosting sites ect... It would have been alot of work. So just feel free to send em mine or Pamela's way and we can do it for ya.

I'm so thrilled be are able to have contest once again, even if I can't enter lol

Charles thank you for your contribution :)

Thanks Yung and Petguide as well. :)

Special thanks to Natasha at the Burnaby IPU for your contribution :) Hope that FH is still around

Super special thanks to an anonymous person for their contribution as well ;) :bigsmile:

And a super duper thank you to Pam for all your time & hard work in this :)

Best of luck everyone! Look forward to seeing some entries. :)

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In which forum do we post? Do we start a poll of our own for each entry?
Please send your contest entry by pm to either me or Diztrbd1. We will be posting all of the contest entries on a poll thread on Feb.16th for forum members to vote on.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
In the event someone has a problem attaching their pic to a PM, you can do the following:

Upload the pic to http://imgur.com/ , you do not need an account with them to upload pix.
after uploading it, copy the / BBCode, then paste it to the PM. Your pic will/should show up on the PM if you copied the correct code. If you have any problems, please feel free to message me.[/B]

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I feel your pain lol still plenty of time :) Took me forever to catch my Ctenopoma with his mouth wide open lol Luckily they flare out their fins before they do it....it's kinda like they are yawning lol took a while but I finally got the money shot I was looking for lol

9 Days left and counting down ..... to get those entries in. :bigsmile:

I started using a cool photo editing program that is on my PC, for adding the captions. It is very easy to use and has lots of cool options. I have an older version, but they have a 15 day free trial for the newest version for Windows here:
Manage, Edit, Present & Share Photos - ACDSee Pro 7

It's available for Mac as well:
ACDSee Mac Pro 3 - ACD Systems
Not sure what gets disabled after the trial is up, but in case anyone wanted to check it out I thought I'd share it.

But again it is as easy as PMing me or Pamela and we will gladly do it for you. All we need is your picture and the caption/quote/thought you'd like to add. Don't be shy, just have fun with it. We wanna see as many members as possible in this. :bigsmile:

another example:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts