British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raise thousands of Angels, and other varieties of cichlids but always seem to have a little problem in feeding baby BN Plecos. I find they bloat extremely easy and die or at least there is a high mortality. Does anyone have a ideas on what they feed their babies. Zucchini, spirulina flakes and discs are a few types I do feed.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I feed the same and have no problems.What size is your tank?

·
Registered
349 Posts
i tried to breed them for several months, always had many successful hatches but they would start to die off at about 1 inch in size....no idea why. I tried everything I could, moving into more tanks, etc... but I just gave up...wasn't worth my time. I think overall, I took about 50 into a store for credit and raised about 8 or so to go into my main tanks at home..

I only fed wafers and zuchini and changed the water every 2 days

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find they have ravenous appetites and would eat anything but over the few years of breeding them , I find a lot of them bloat and most die from it. I am just wondering if there is a fine line in either what they eat or how much that may cause them to bloat. Being mostly herbivores, I know the digestive track is longer but does bloating still occur in plecos that are more carnivorous like the zebra pleco.
Maybe not feeding them every 3rd day might give them a little more time to digest.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks for this thread.

Like Fishman35 I have raised lots of cichlids and always enjoyed that. Recently my BN plecos spawned unexpectedly in community tank where most of the fish are African Rivers. As a fish ethologist by training the whole breeding activity and guarding of the eggs and fry by my male was fascinating. In my first spawn I had exactly the same issue as mentioned, fry got to about 1" then all died, I think my die-off was due to pH that had creeped up on me ... the Angel fry in my fry tank and then my grow-out tank handled it and were just fine but the BN all died.

Those Angels are still doing well ...

Plant Water Leaf Organism Sunlight

Because of this first failed attempt with BN I thought I would get more serious. The male came through again, luckily he chose a wood cave really easy to monitor in the same tank. As the fry became free swimming I syphoned out approx. 50 free swimming fry from the back of the cave to a grow out tank with young Angel fry. I am feeding like others on this tread, so far so good, no obvious die-off.

If folks are interested I'll keep you posted :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would try feeding less.I also keep pumpkin shrimp with mine and they multiply as well.I often skip feeding and feed use cucumbers as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what I did and it seems to be working. Skip the odd day and let them digest a bit. I did put a piece of romaine lettuce in , the greener end, and they seem to love it as well , surprise surprise. I really think they do graze continually and by skipping the odd day they do have time to digest. Too much commercial foods I do believe bloats them. Thanks for all the help !!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.