British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, How often should I be feeding my BNP and Sailfin pleco anyways?
I'm feeding them English cucumber.
Should I put some in every day? or only one in several days?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I put some in every 2-3 days. Mine eat algae of the glass too so yeah :D (Albino Bristlenose Plecos)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
mine love yams and yellow zucchini, mostly yams
i use one of those screwcumber things and put a new chunk of yam in there every morning, sometimes on weekends il give them a buffet of yam zucchini bok choi and melon :p oddly enough they still seem to gravitate to the yam

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Cucumbers are mostly water and are messy. Zucchini is just as palatable and have more nutritional value. Yams are the most nutritionally dense.

For feeding frequency, twice a week is fine, but I feed mine 3 times a week as I have many and want to make sure everyone gets some.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
hehe mebbe il stop feeding daily if a few times a week is enough, i just want them to be healthy and grow fast and the wife buys way too many vegetables and id rather have them get used in the aquarium than have them go bad in the fridge :p

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
If you want to feed them daily there is no harm other than the excessive poop and the water quality. If you're going to feed them every day, I would suggest leaving the veggies in no more than 6 or 8 hours so they don't break down, especially in a smaller tank.

When I feed every other day with hard veggies like yams, I typically leave it in for 24 hours and then remove and then don't feed the next day. Gives them a chance to clear their innards.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I feed mine New Life Spectrum wafers daily but the Leporinus eat them too. Yesterday I sliced some carrots and boiled them just long enough to soften them a little and put a couple slices of those in the tank. It was mainly for the cichlids but the Plecos ate some too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts