British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Grant,

I recently purchased close to 20 of your bettas from your betta mania promotion from both locations, 6 in which were females. However, Im not too happy with the quality of the females, many of them were dead in the bag as i was choosing them, and due to my lack of good eyesite in dim areas i picked 3 dying females from the richmond store, i was able to bring one bak yesterday and i was given a replacement. When i found two more dead ones and i called angelo today, i was told i would onli be able to get half price for each fish, i dont believe i am at fault wen i just purchased the fish two days ago. Please explain to me your return policy of fish, i knoe bettas arnt worth alot, my main purchases from you are marine, and ive hit the 1000 points at least 3 times this year. Any advice would b appreciated.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I'm not being mean, and I'm not stepping on sides, but I recall reading the paper when I bought the fish, it clearly states the policy. As I always say at work "policy's a policy" But I definitely hope Grant can take care of you from here!
It's unfortunate to hear the deaths, anyways, good luck =)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Hey Grant,

I recently purchased close to 20 of your bettas from your betta mania promotion from both locations, 6 in which were females. However, Im not too happy with the quality of the females, many of them were dead in the bag as i was choosing them, and due to my lack of good eyesite in dim areas i picked 3 dying females from the richmond store, i was able to bring one bak yesterday and i was given a replacement. When i found two more dead ones and i called angelo today, i was told i would onli be able to get half price for each fish, i dont believe i am at fault wen i just purchased the fish two days ago. Please explain to me your return policy of fish, i knoe bettas arnt worth alot, my main purchases from you are marine, and ive hit the 1000 points at least 3 times this year. Any advice would b appreciated.
Durasing,
I have checked with both locations and they have had a few losses but nothing too unusual with shipping stress etc. We imported over 150 Crown tail females and I did not observe any issues with them. Due to the tight packing over seas and stress it is not unusual to lose a few but your ratio is quite high. Are you keeping them all together? What are your water parameters? Do you have a heater? Please provide me with as much information as possible.
I have no problem sorting something out for you but we don't want the problem to continue of course. To lose 3 out of 6 is very strange. I can assure you we have not lost anything like that.
I look forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I'm not being mean, and I'm not stepping on sides, but I recall reading the paper when I bought the fish, it clearly states the policy. As I always say at work "policy's a policy" But I definitely hope Grant can take care of you from here!
It's unfortunate to hear the deaths, anyways, good luck =)
The policy is such that it protects both parties but most importantly, THE FISH! I have always felt that full replacement on a regular basis is abusive to the hobby and takes all the responsibility away from the hobbyist. It also discourages proper maintenance if any problems are merely "replaced". There are of course always exceptions.

A common misconception in this hobby for example, new fish die quickly after being introduced to an aquarium with poor maintenance history. The existing fish grow accustomed to these conditions but the new additions cant handle it. If fish in that example were merely replaced, how many fish would be sacrificed before questions were raised? With our guarantee it puts half the responsibility onto the hobbyist. This is why it is termed "responsible livestock warranty."

Regardless we are not fish police. If there is a random loss for various reasons we have been known to replace or if there is a problem with the particular batch of fish, we will replace no question.

This would make a good sticky!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My sick and dead females were taken care of by your staff:), im 100% confident with my water parameters as ive bred fighting fish many times before, there is also a heater attached as well.....some of the crowntail females appeared to be males after mixing them 2gether....the female bettas seem to be affected with a dsease that changes the color of the infected area to very pale, appears to be some sort of body rot...i hope this helps

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My sick and dead females were taken care of by your staff:), im 100% confident with my water parameters as ive bred fighting fish many times before, there is also a heater attached as well.....some of the crowntail females appeared to be males after mixing them 2gether....the female bettas seem to be affected with a dsease that changes the color of the infected area to very pale, appears to be some sort of body rot...i hope this helps
Interesting. I am glad to hear the team looked after you.:) Occasionally females are not all females but short fin males. For this reason I dont keep them together in aquariums anymore although it is not very common. The sickness you mention is more common in colder shipping conditions, particularly in the winter months. It can affect Bettas and not affect other fish in the same shipment.
Glad everything has worked out for you!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
=) I'm so glad to hear this has all been taken care of!

Since the change.. I have been back 4 times in the last 2 months or less!
Bought rainbows
Bought german blue rams
Bought dog treats (cant find that mint flavour dog treat anywhere... my dog goes nuts when he knows im at your store, he stands right infront of that same treat EVERYTIME I GO, if you're wondering what kinda dog, it's a small little pomeranian that's extremely well behave.. unfortunately, he won't allow anyone to touch him but us, and I think he only likes Ian.. LOL! NO CLUE WHY, but he'll let Ian in Richmond pet him)
Also bought alkaline buffer and crushed coral (From Ian as well, one of your most helpful reps I've ever experienced)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts