British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's female guppy died, She was really pretty, and she has been huge for MONTHS leterally, And her uhm..........Femal Guppy parts,, were open alot. After she died, I decided to cut her open and see if I can see a problem............So! I did it, and I found a lot of eggs, AND BABIES like 40 babies, and a whole bunch of eggs....So could the problem she had a baby stuck or something????

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hate to say it, but I doubt a baby could be the blockage!
But it could lead to stress!
What's the water parameters?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am told that when female guppies consume too much meat and protein that babies grow larger than normal in the womb, leading to birthing complications and ruptures. What she ridiculously big? And also, what sort of diet are you feeding your guppies? how much protein and how much veggies?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Try endlers they're way hardier. The vast majority of guppies on the market are rather 'inbred' and suffer a lot of health conditions for it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have some pretty nice feeder guppies you an have. I also have a few endlers if you want :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
The bloodworms would probably have done it if you are feeding them daily. I feed my guys pellets most of the week, then mabe 2 feedings of veggies per week and 2 of frozen.

Also I am hearing that larger worms like bloodworms pose a choking hazard for guppies... I keep mine on brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and daphnia.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks planetInverts but no thanks :p You get what I'm saying ?

And Kelly I have 3 guppies left :( It is a really uneven ratio from guys to girls 2 guys 1 girl >.> And And And I hope the blood worms didn't do that :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most you should feed bloodworms is 3x per week. 2x is better, especially to livebearers which prefer lots of vegetable matter in their diet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts