British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I put dose my crs tank with the macro + micro nutrients, I would like to know whether the shrimps can tolerate such chemicals.

I understand the crs don't like pH swings and nitrites, will the fertilizers change any of those parameters? specifically, KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, MgSO4 and traces.

Did anyone try it before?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you have another planted tank running, then why not cycle the CRS tank, with the old water from that tank, or even some of it, and use that as your dose

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
hmmm I remembered that I dosed too much co2 one day, 3 crs's died overnight :(
If you overdose CO2, you'll kill any living organism, not just shrimp. Get a drop checker if you don't already have one.

If you are concerned about nitrites, you don't have to worry about ferts, as you're dosing nitrates.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright i'll under-dose for a try. thanks for the advice! very appreciated :D

any suggestions on where to get some drop checkers? ebay?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
questions about the drop checker.

is it easy to come off the suction cup and pollute the tank with that indicator solution?
can shrimp climb into the drop checker? is the solution deadly for fish/shrimps?

thanks!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
It depends on the checker. I have one that comes off all the time, and another that never comes off.

The indicator solution is just baking soda with a few drop of pH solution, and the volume is so small it's irrelevant. I've never seen shrimp climb into mine, but mine are the small opening ones (it's a DIY that I bought off a guy).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts