British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

For those of you that don't know we sell a whole line of fertilizers. They are listed below. Let me know if you have any questions about pricing and how to add any of the said fertilizers, and we will answer your questions as best we can.

The fertilizers we have (these are all dry fertilizers):

Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4)
Barr's GH Booster
Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3)
Potassium Bicarbonate (KHCO3)
Potassium Sulphate (K2SO4)
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3; Salt Petre)
Plantex CSM+B
Epsom salts (MgSO4-7H2O)
Iron EDTA (13%)
Iron DTPA (11%)
Macro Nutrient Mix

Curtis

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've been using the Solar Hydroponics ferts for a while now. But I do have a couple questions.

All I'm dosing is kh2po4, kno3, and macro's. The macro's come in 1 small container. My tank is also using pressurized co2. Would you recommend that I start dosing k2so4 as well? Benefits?

What is the Plantex CSM+B, just trace (macro) elements, or something different entirely?

Thanks, Tyson.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mind I ask the diffference of the Iron EDTA and DTPA! thanks =)
I don't mind at all:

Iron DTPA is considered the best source of chelated iron for planted aquarium fertilizing. DTPA has a better pH stability range than EDTA, and so for aquariums with a pH exceeding 6.5, this product will keep Iron chelated and available for plant use.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been using the Solar Hydroponics ferts for a while now. But I do have a couple questions.

All I'm dosing is kh2po4, kno3, and macro's. The macro's come in 1 small container. My tank is also using pressurized co2. Would you recommend that I start dosing k2so4 as well? Benefits?

What is the Plantex CSM+B, just trace (macro) elements, or something different entirely?

Thanks, Tyson.
CSM+B is just trace elements.

Let me get back to you with an answer to your other question, Tim might know more about that than me;).

Curtis

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
K2SO4 Is potassium sulfate, if your tank is lacking in sulfate, or your plants are demanding more, you shoudl dose it! I dose K2SO4 myself 3 times weekly like the other elements!
As for the Macro nutrient mix that Aquaflora supplies, I'm pretty sure it's the sulfate, phosphate and nitrate mix into one bottle for convenience! I recall seeing that on the website! =) But let's wait for Tim or Curtis!~

Anyways, Thanks Curtis, I'll definitely be getting one of those iron! =) Should come handy for me!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The question is a bit confusing, as KH2PO4 and KNO3 are macros. If you are getting something in a small bottle, that's the Solar Hydroponics Micronutrients. Those are micros, not macros, and would be the equivalent of trace. Macro means big, and in this sense, it means bulk or higher uptake, elements.

Sorry for jumping on your thread, Curtis.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The question is a bit confusing, as KH2PO4 and KNO3 are macros. If you are getting something in a small bottle, that's the Solar Hydroponics Micronutrients. Those are micros, not macros, and would be the equivalent of trace. Macro means big, and in this sense, it means bulk or higher uptake, elements.

I don't mind :)

You are right, kno3 is a marco and the trace is a mirco. Although those are just details at this point. The true question is and I am not sure I can answer this one, is there any negative effect to not adding K2SO4 or positive effect to adding it. I am not sure I know the answer to this one. I'll ask Tim, he'll know for sure.

Curtis

·
Registered
278 Posts
I didnt notice I called the micros macros, my bad :D

So the micros I have are basically the same as the CSM+B? The iron would assist in bringing out the red in certain plants correct?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

=) There's the answer! HAHA~

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The iron would assist in bringing out the red in certain plants correct?
Yes and no, if you are lacking iron, then yes, but, and there is much discussion on this one, it could also be that some plants for some reason, when all of the nutrients are always available to them (the idea behind the EI method) will either not intake the iron, or don't turn red for a different reason (perhaps the expert Plantbrain can answer this one exactly). I have seen discussion that if you decrees the PPM of the nitrates it will help solve this situation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the micros I have are basically the same as the CSM+B?

Yes that is very true, probably a slightly different ratio but the same sort of deal!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I actually asked around on plantedtank a while back about this, and it gets asked a lot apparently. Guess I missed that part of the question. The K2SO4 doses more K per unit than the other 2 ferts, which have a single K. So if your tank needs more K (for instance, you're not dosing full EI because you have a high bioload that produces a lot of nitrates and phosphates), then you may need more K. Or in high light tanks, you may need a bit more. It take a lot of K to overdose the tank, so I dose K2SO4 in my tanks as the big water change weekly takes care of it anyway. I dose more K in my tanks with red plants and I limit the nitrate to try to bring out the red.

I'm sure Tim will have better answers, but that's what I found in my research.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks 2wheelsx2, and Curtis. I've read so many different things about this and it just confuses me more and more haha. The general consensus seems that it won't hurt add the extra K. Maybe i'll give it a shot. My nitrates are always quite low, so I'm not too worried about that. I do a good size water change in all my tanks weekly.

Thanks again everyone. Tyson.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I actually asked around on plantedtank a while back about this, and it gets asked a lot apparently. Guess I missed that part of the question. The K2SO4 doses more K per unit than the other 2 ferts, which have a single K. So if your tank needs more K (for instance, you're not dosing full EI because you have a high bioload that produces a lot of nitrates and phosphates), then you may need more K. Or in high light tanks, you may need a bit more. It take a lot of K to overdose the tank, so I dose K2SO4 in my tanks as the big water change weekly takes care of it anyway. I dose more K in my tanks with red plants and I limit the nitrate to try to bring out the red.

I'm sure Tim will have better answers, but that's what I found in my research.
Thanks for that bit of info! I have been dosing full ei (without k2so4) but after increasing the bioload by a significant amount, I had to cut back on dosing quite a bit. I guess I have to get k2so4 to supplement now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Tim,

I tried to order on-line but couldn't go pass adding billing and shipping addresses. I am using an Apple Mac and may have incompatibility problems. I have also sent two emails already without getting any response. Can you help? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts