British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have buckets full of duckweed and azolla for free or trade. Please put it to good use as it just eats light from my other plants lol pickup in richmond

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I work at UBC and we would love to come get some of your azolla and duckweed to show the students in botany class. When is a good time for me to come by for pick up?
THanks,
Adam

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've been thinking about adding azolla to my tank or something similar such as salvinia. I'm probably too far from you to get yours though. Jus out of curiosity however: do you find the azolla to be less invasive than duckweed? I like a small amount of floating plants in my tank but have been struggling to get rid of a duckweed infestation for AGES.

·
Super Moderator
5,270 Posts
Duckweed is far more difficult to get rid of (I like to refer to it as "Aquatic Herpes"). Azolla filliculoides, And Salvinia minima are both good growers but easy to remove completely if needed. I keep both azolla and salvinia together as floaters in my tanks. They also are excellent Dwarf Rainbow egg traps for me.

Respectfully,

Stuart

·
Registered
373 Posts
thank you!!! That makes me much less nervous about adding some lovely floaters!
That is SUCH an accurate description of duckweed... I added some to one old tank about 3 years ago for the goldfish to eat. I sold that tank about 2 years ago... still somehow have some in my little tank. I think its almost eradicated though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wish I had the duckweed problem. :bigsmile:
I can't grow it fast enough.
My goldfish and turtles eat it faster than it can reproduce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts