British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One post that we all miss dearly from the old forum taught us all how to beat BBA using Excel.

I don't have the details of that post, but have found that mixing Excel/metricide with water, and spraying down your tank can really help battle the stuff.

To put actions to words, I have let my 46 gallon tank get absolutely covered in BBA and will be describing my battle with it over the next two weeks.

I'm truly embarrassed to post some of the recent photos of the tank, but for this article to work, the tank had to look as bad as possible.

Feel free to comment here, or on the blog itself at www.tankspiration.com.

Please stay tuned, it's going to be one hell of a fight.

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
I believe that the Metricide available at Bower's Medical Supply in Richmond is about twice the concentration of Excel. Therefore, dose (or overdose as the case may be) accordingly.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@fkshiu, you're right. It's not quite twice, but very close.

I've posted some photos, 6 hours post-treatment, to show how the tank already is starting to show improvement. Die algae die!

·
Registered
197 Posts
looking forward to the rest of it. I have found that turning off the filters for a few minutes and using a turkey baster to spray the most affected spots also works. this is less work than draining the tank.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Niiice, I'll need to buy some after i sample it out. The hairgrass is taking a beating right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts