British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I'm just about to do my first fill on my tank and was wondering how to determine the proper water level overall and also the proper water level in the sump. What's the steps in setting it up for the first time? Or for that matter, what are the steps of filling up the tank for the first time? I would imagine eventually the sump would be filled to at the very least where the water covers the intake for the pump. Any comments would be much appreciated! I can't wait to do my first fill!

Tony

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Hi everyone,

So I'm just about to do my first fill on my tank and was wondering how to determine the proper water level overall and also the proper water level in the sump. What's the steps in setting it up for the first time? Or for that matter, what are the steps of filling up the tank for the first time? I would imagine eventually the sump would be filled to at the very least where the water covers the intake for the pump. Any comments would be much appreciated! I can't wait to do my first fill!

Tony
The maximum level of the sump is determined by how much water back siphons when the pump is unplugged.I would fill the sump 2/3rd's once the aquarium is filled to the line of the overflows and add water as needed once the system is running. Make sense?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I believe so. I guess when the sump is actually running, I would only want the 6 inches or so of water so that the bioballs are not submerged. Thus, if I were to unplug or if there was a power failure, obviously if the bioballs gets submerged in that case, that's fine as long as the sump has enough volume to prevent a flood.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Yes I believe so. I guess when the sump is actually running, I would only want the 6 inches or so of water so that the bioballs are not submerged. Thus, if I were to unplug or if there was a power failure, obviously if the bioballs gets submerged in that case, that's fine as long as the sump has enough volume to prevent a flood.
Correct.:)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! Going to do my leak test today! OMG!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get out the wet vac ...:eek::eek::eek:..... :p

just kidding buddy , hope all goes well [email protected]! :cool:
LOL. I lent my shopvac to my sister and she put the hose up to one of her baseboard heaters...... :mad: She owes me a hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts