British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok well first off , since i removed my 2 ac110s from the tank that i was using for polishing (with floss) , i have not been happy with the clarity of the tank . i replaced the acs110 with a eheim 2227 , the tank has a fx5 , eheim wet/dry 2229 as well , i also run a 25 watt uv .

has anybody ever used floss in in a fx5 , does it work well or not ??

i am considering adding a smaller eheim and filling it for floss , just for polishing ?

ideas , suggestions are welcome !!

:cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
maybe try Purigen, for some reason my water is amazingly clear and I am not sure why, apart from maybe that I am running it.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe try Purigen, for some reason my water is amazingly clear and I am not sure why, apart from maybe that I am running it.
is it a additive of some sort ?

ya when i was using the acs as my polishing , my water was mountain water clear ..:D , now not so much .. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
purigen is macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water... got that from their website haha aka small beads that clean your water .. you put them in a mesh bag and put it into your filter

here's the link for more info
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html
ok that helps a bit , but im not gonna put that stuf in my 2 eheim wet/dry filters , i wonder would it be ok in my fx5 ? or is it ok to add floss in it as well ??

·
Registered
327 Posts
and the second greatest thing about it is that you just regenerate it in bleach and use it over and over again.

a little expensive, but it lasts virtually forever.

·
Registered
327 Posts
ok that helps a bit , but im not gonna put that stuf in my 2 eheim wet/dry filters , i wonder would it be ok in my fx5 ? or is it ok to add floss in it as well ??

both will work fine together.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
both will work fine together.
so it is safe to add floss to a fx5 ? i cant find any info on which basket to put the floss in ?

id rather try the floss , cause i have a ton of it , then if problem still remains , ill try the pirgein stuff :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another product you might consider is chemi-pure; it's probably similar to purigen. I used it in my Fluval canister filter for my sw setup back in the nineties and I never had a water clarity problem in my tank. It's also good for fw tanks as well.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Only problem with floss in the fx5 is it tends to plug up real fast. I have tried it and was not to happy . Flow rate drops off fast and microbubbles start to come out.
The best thing IMO...( cant beat the price and reusable;) as well ) for water clarity are the sponge filters with a power head on them. I stack 2 together with a maxijet 1200 and clean every other day and the fine particals it picks out is pretty amazing. My water is crystal clear due to them.
Lisa had a problem with water clarity and used one as well and was equaly impressed.
Once it is clear you can cut back to once a week cleaning
bill

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Floss in the FX5 is ok and you can actually buy their own Fluval brand FX5 pads, but they clog quickly and will need to be washed frequently. Especially true with the fine polish pads. You will notice the flow from the filter is drastically reduced.

Purigen is cool stuff which you can pack into a filter bag and place in your canister, lower flow canister the better. The more time the purigen has to contact the water, the better.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Bill is right about the maxijet with foam. I use a block of Poret foam I got from April and that foam clogs after a week but the water is crystal clear.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only problem with floss in the fx5 is it tends to plug up real fast. I have tried it and was not to happy . Flow rate drops off fast and microbubbles start to come out.
The best thing IMO...( cant beat the price and reusable;) as well ) for water clarity are the sponge filters with a power head on them. I stack 2 together with a maxijet 1200 and clean every other day and the fine particals it picks out is pretty amazing. My water is crystal clear due to them.
Lisa had a problem with water clarity and used one as well and was equaly impressed.
Once it is clear you can cut back to once a week cleaning
bill
ok good to know about the floss ..

but im trying to work with what i got , i dont wanna add anything else to my setup , as i just cleaned up the hoses and have a super clean look , everything tucked away and hidden , :cool:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Floss in the FX5 is ok and you can actually buy their own Fluval brand FX5 pads, but they clog quickly and will need to be washed frequently. Especially true with the fine polish pads. You will notice the flow from the filter is drastically reduced.

Purigen is cool stuff which you can pack into a filter bag and place in your canister, lower flow canister the better. The more time the purigen has to contact the water, the better.
so if i were to do the purigen it would work best in my eheim wet/dry filters .cause the fx5 has a much higher flow rate ?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Tony is right in that more contact time is better. But it'll still work. I run Purigen in my FX5 and it clears the water quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I can tell when to recharge my Purigen just by looking at my water.

It's not cheap, but it is rechargeable.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
so if i were to do the purigen it would work best in my eheim wet/dry filters .cause the fx5 has a much higher flow rate ?

Yes, I agree. Just make sure it doesn't impede your waterflow as I'm not sure how the wet dry works.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts