British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a eheim 2260 and im looking to fill it with media. now i cant be spending 15 dollars a box on media because for those who havent seen this filter before its big! so what other cheaper media are people using. i have heard of using pillow cotton for like filter floss kinda thing anyone use this or other cool ideas similar?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've tried using those cheap pot scrubbers in my fx5 and it was just a wast of money, pot scrubbers do NOT work in canisters, they work best for tickle filter set ups, even though plastic bio balls are cheap as it is.

Back on topic,

Bottom line is this,

What you pay for is what you get.

You spent the money to get the eheim 2260 so why cheap out on the most important part of it? I managed to put maybe 20 boxes of those $15 a box filter media (bio max) into my fx5, all I did was picked up 3 or 4 boxes every payday (every two weeks) until my filter was full. Sure it took a while to get done but trust me, don't cheap out on the most important part of the filter.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Filter Floss

Polyester batting (just like filter floss, only better & much cheaper) is available at fabric discount stores - like Fabricland - 1 full yard for about $5.- no harmful chemicals - thicker - works like a charm - try it ! Just cut it to size to fit your filter - double it up - 2 layers. Throw it out after a week or two & replace it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
What size of a tank do ypou have and what's the bioload? You don't have to fill up the whole filter at once.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I would not use poly batting for a filter like the 2260, it would get clogged in no time. I would get and get a bunch of bunch filtration mats (I saw them in big sheets at J&L and I'm sure other LFS will sell them too) or else you'll be cleaning your every week.

For bio in my FX5 I use a combination of Ehfisubstrat Pro, Seachem Matrix, and one tray of plastic pot scrubbers. I personally like how the scrubbers work and how porous and easy to clean they are, but I don't like the weight. You can buy Seachem Matrix in bulk. 2 L for $18 doesn't seem bad at J&L SeaChem Matrix - 2 Litre So for $40 you'd have 4L of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
you could try purigen by seahem,alittle more expensive but works great,a little goes a long way,then a good mechanical filter,foam;bioballs, etc;to fill the rest of the filter,works great on all my tanks ..chillin

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Remember that the best bio filteration often requires the most cleaning, ceramics will clog in no time.

If you use a coarse sponge prefilter on your intake strainer, you'll be able to maintain a decent flow rate on and reduce the need for cannister maintenance, just squeeze the sponge a few times with water you removed form the tank every water change (pretty easy to do)

You can then use some medium sponge and even some cotton closest to the intake, the cotton will polish the water for you.

Filling the rest of the cannister with pot scrubbers will give you more than sufficient bio filteration. biomax is overkill imo, if you got the money to waste go for it.

heres a chart i found comparing the surface area. you'll notice most of the commercial bio products are below the surface area of the potscrubbers.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What size of a tank do ypou have and what's the bioload? You don't have to fill up the whole filter at once.
its a 6 foot heavily planted tank. its a community and the bio load is i woul say moderately high? im also running a fluval 304 on the tank aswell.

·
Registered
348 Posts
neven I'm guessing your speaking from experiences right since canister filter on your 29g tank must be full of pot scrubbers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
heres a chart i found comparing the surface area. you'll notice most of the commercial bio products are below the surface area of the potscrubbers.

Where would the Eheim Substrat Pro fall on that list?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have an xp1, so im limited on space. What i've had before was these plastic wheel spoke thingies from king ed, i couldn't fit many in and reading into them their surface area just sucked, so i tossed them for some pot scrubbers. Im in the process of replacing most of my media with the pot scrubbers, but im taking it slow to not upset the bacteria colony in my filter.

My current set up is:
Intake - Fluval Edge Prefilter sponge

then from bottom to top as with rena its how it works
30 ppi open cell foam
20 ppo open cell foam
bag of crushed coral/pot scrubbers
filter floss with a polishing pad.

as monday is my filter maintnence day, i'll be removing the 30 ppi open cell and using more pot scrubbers, as its not really needed considering my prefilter is a finer grade foam, in a month i'll remove some of the filter floss again and use more pot scrubbers, after that the polisher pad to see if i see any clarity issues. the 20 ppi pad will stay on the bottom of my filter to act as the mechanical filteration with my prefilter.

I dont have issues with water quality in my tank, all but one of my driftwood have been in the tank a very long time so the rate of tannins leeching into the water column is slow enough i see no discolouration. No odour aswell, so i have no need to run carbon and purigen on a planted tank seems pointless to me.

Also i'm not a fan of over stocking tanks my tanks, Fishies need their room to swim, no matter how much you up the bio media and o2 that part wont change. A little over is fine though if you plan your species well enough, ie, top swimmers, middle and bottom.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Where would the Eheim Substrat Pro fall on that list?
the list excludes expensive stuff, but it doesn't clog nearly as much as the rest of the expensive media does (cindered ceramics for example)

as for its comparison, i found this on another forum:

Ehfisubstrat/ehfisubstrat pro = 18,300 sq. ft. per gallon.
Pot scrubbers = 2767.6 sq. ft per gallon

1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons of water.

massive difference, but take into account what your tank is going to be used for before you drop spend your money on something like this.

Sponges for the most part were the standard for bio for a long time, and most average sized tanks could get by with sponge/filterfloss media only, they successfully kept an aquarium, with clear water Most of us never see any difference in the tank, or by water param readings between many of the cheap solutions vs the expensive. These are bio media afterall, mechanical is what removes the debris. You see the uses of these high end media only when you enter the extremes of the hobby, severely overstocked discus tanks, monster fish keepers for example will be suited for this media, even then many still use cheap solutions like pot scrubbers. For us with regular stocked or a bit overstocked tanks, planted tanks and whatnot, we don't need insane surface area to house our bio filtration we'll be establishing

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
This is a good discussion. I recently just got a xp2. I have two trays. And the layers are as follows:
Tray 1:
-30ppi foam
-20ppi foam
-divider
-9 bio-stars
-bag of clarity (sorb-something) --carbon **will not replace it when I maintain it in a months time
-two small bags of crush coral

Tray 2:
-1.25litres of seachem matrix
-Divider
-polishing pad

I was actually planning to put a pre-filter like a fluval edge sponge (but didn't know whether it'll fit or not) does it fit?
Same setup as neven...almost.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
it fits but its tight (not a bad thing), you also got to squeeze it out every water change. If you dont than about 10-12 days it collapses against the strainer yellin at you IDIOT YOU SHOULD HAVE CLEANED ME! and give you maintenance on an unplanned date. A coarse sponge will allow you to probably get to every two weeks possibly more, either of them atleast prevent suprise fry and baby shrimpies from gettign sucked in atleast

·
Registered
241 Posts
neven, sounds like you've done a lot of research on this topic!

dwarf_puffer, the alternative would be to use the cheap pot scrubbers for now and monitor your nitrate/nitrite/ammonia on a daily (or weekly, biweekly...) basis for a month and decide what level you are comfortable with. If you need to do a water change once a week and you decide that's too often then you can look into replacing the media 10% at a time (i.e. don't replace the the entire thing... that can be costly, do it in steps) until you reach happy a medium, which may mean you only need 50% of the good stuff... Does that make sense? It's not like it has to be 100% pot scrubber OR 100% expensive bio media... That's the nice thing about canister filters, you get to mix 'n match.

·
Registered
505 Posts
neven, sounds like you've done a lot of research on this topic!

dwarf_puffer, the alternative would be to use the cheap pot scrubbers for now and monitor your nitrate/nitrite/ammonia on a daily (or weekly, biweekly...) basis for a month and decide what level you are comfortable with. If you need to do a water change once a week and you decide that's too often then you can look into replacing the media 10% at a time (i.e. don't replace the the entire thing... that can be costly, do it in steps) until you reach happy a medium, which may mean you only need 50% of the good stuff... Does that make sense? It's not like it has to be 100% pot scrubber OR 100% expensive bio media... That's the nice thing about canister filters, you get to mix 'n match.
How would replacing potscrubbers with commercial bio media allow you to change your water less often? If it does, I would gladly switch but I don't understand how it would.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts