British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, I had a panic attack this morning. I went to do my normal weekly water changes and when I got down to a lower level, I noticed the filter wasn't working. I checked it and I guess I forgot to plug it back in last weekend when I did my last water change. I have plugged it back in, without really thinking and the water came out so stinky. I have let it run and changed a bunch more water. I'm afraid I haven't handled this well though - I'm assuming that the bacteria will all be dead in the filter - it's been so hot and a whole week off.??? What should I do? Ugh… Feeling crappy, I don't want to lose all my fish..

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have left mine off for a few days, forgetting to plug it back in too. Start it up, big waterchange, and away you go. Should be enough bacteria in the tank to get it going again. Just do a few smaller waterchanges to help keep nitrates down for a while.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have left mine off for a few days, forgetting to plug it back in too. Start it up, big waterchange, and away you go. Should be enough bacteria in the tank to get it going again. Just do a few smaller waterchanges to help keep nitrates down for a while.
If this is a well established tank I think you'll have enough bacteria in your tank to tie you over. I would clean out the filter and start it fresh. You may get a little cycle but not a big deal just do a small water change in the middle of the week to keep the ammonia and nitrites down.

People keep filterless tanks all the time. Also, if you keep plants they also do some work in conditioning your water.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like you've already done a good sized water change, and I agree, a well-established tank should still hold a lot of good bacteria it shouldn't be a major issue. If you're really worried about it run some water tests and see where your cycle is and then up your water changes accordingly (or sigh in relief that all is well).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yeah don't turn it back on until you clean out the filter or you will end up dumping out some nasty water back into the main tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone - I have cleaned out the filter, done a substantial water change and things are looking pretty good - I'll test the water in a few hours to see where we're at. Thanks for the advice….

1 - 9 of 9 Posts