British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my wild caught Green Texas Cichlid. Apparently from a deep river in southern Mexico. I rescued him from a LFS a year ago in December for 5 bucks. He was about a quarter of an inch. He is rather finicky when it comes to anything that isn't alive. Hence the slightly sunken tummy. He loves crickets and feeder fish. (Guppies) but rarely accepts flakes or pellets. And is half and half on frozen. He shares the 210 gallon square with a smaller female flower horn, an African feather fin catfish, a high fin butterfly pleco. And another massive 28 inch common pleco. So they receive a plethora of foods for color and nutrition. So I'm curious if anyone has a cheap method to fatten him up or a good idea for a prepared food item. In my 15 years of keeping cichlids I've never had a finicky one. Or a wild caught one. And I feel like the two are connected. The picture isn't a good reference to size. But I'd say he's around 4½-5 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Texas cichlids were one of the first Cichlids I bought years ago. They have always been a favorite of mine. They are beautiful fish.

Sometimes not feeding them for 3 or 4 days works. It forces them to eat the food they are given. Try that a few times over if need be. Its worked for me and others on this site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah this fella is quite the a-hole. He flares out his gills and shakes and swings his tail around when challenged by the Flowerhorn. But when it comes to food he's not impressed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts