British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm wondering if there are any toad people out there that might be able to answer a couple of questions for me.

A few months ago or so I ended up becoming a toad mom to 6 abandoned Fire Belly Toads. I've never had any sort of amphibian pet before so everything has been a learning experience for me, but as best as I can tell I have 3 males and three females. So sure enough after having them for about two months they spawned eggs.
The tadpoles started emerging from the water during the August long weekend. I now have about 55 little baby toads that are rapidly consuming fruit flies (that I have been cultivating myself) and have just recently been able to eat some really really small crickets.

Question 1) at what age/size will these little guys be able to be re-homed? They are super cute but 55 toads is more than I can care for.

Question 2) is there anywhere on the east side of the Portman that carries really small feeder insects? I want to very their diet, also am a little short on fruit flies as their appetites have gotten pretty strong. The only place I know of is Aquariums West in Van. but coming out from Langley, it's a bit of a drive for fruit flies.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Wendy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any one?
I mostly want to know when I can start re-homing them. I have a couple of co-workers that are interested.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can't answer your first question - but as for places to buy food east of the Portman... You could try Rogers Aquatics. I know technically it is west of the Portman bridge, but you don't actually have to go over the bridge to get there... Which is what I assume was your concern.

Give them a call. I have found them very nice to deal with since moving south of the Fraser!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Roger's carries pinheads and up. Take some pics of the toadlets in with u, u might get store credit for some of them when they are selling size....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can try here for food. She's in Langley.

As for rehoming, could either try a pet shop that stocks amphibians and see if they will take them, won't get much for them. Or advertise on BC reptile forum, Canadart forum or at a push Craigslist.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you dendromad, I will give all those a shot.

I went out to the reptile rescue guy in mission today and he suggested I wait a little bit longer to try to re-home them just because their food is so small and hard for people to find easily.
I hope they stay well until then, 55 little guys in one 10gal tank, going to get very crowded as they grow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts