British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
915.jpg

Let me start off by saying that this is my first 20 gal tank :D. Crs, buces arrived today! - What.. only 5 pictures per post? Buce came in alive, pieces rotting here and there and portions were a little smaller than expected but none the less they are alive for now. The crystal shrimps does not look good at all, doing drip acclimation right now at 2 drops/sec. Will be interesting to see how they fair in a new tank, currently ph 6.8, 140 TDS(24 tap) ( kh / gh kits on the way) and temperature set to 79 F. 045.jpg 047.jpg 048.jpg 049.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Alright quick update - all 30 crystals are alive after acclimation,no deaths yet as of now. My clamp light came and I am very surprised that the light penetration is much worse than I expected, I'll get a new bulb for it and try again but for now I have a 60 cm chihiro led shipping from hongkong and quite excited to see how 39 watts will par with my current 2x 24 watt set up. One of them is a Nicrew LED ( 96 LEDs (8 blue )) and I got this from amazon prime 35$, loved it on my 10 gallon but the light penetration on the 60-P was not up to my expectations. The other light I purchased from Aquarium West ( also 60 cm ) for 124$ and its proving to be a piece of crap, terrible heat dissipation and even less penetration than the Nicrew ( good for warming my hands in winter). However I did buy this light 2-3 years ago for my cichlid tank and did not do research on planted tank lights, just bought whatever was available in store. For now this will be just a grow tank as I have my last shipment of anubias comming in a week and perhaps a few larger buces.

About the pictures, they are taken by an iphone ( lights seem a bit much for auto ) ( jpg 007 was taken with one light off ) Right now the lights are bright enough to let my anubias petite to shoot out 2 leaves per week and stream like crazy- the buce and S repens were also streaming. Again, no co2 injection or excel. 026.jpg 013.jpg 022.jpg 007.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Talk about nice bubbler - Anubias recovering and more shrimp. Is it just me or do shrimps like to poop a lot?

Update - I see shells! They sure grow fast, 2 days into new tank and i see 3+ shells already.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Looking good. Yup. My shrimp poop lots too but not as bad as fish :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_1912.jpg 023.jpg 022.jpg 021.jpg 020.jpg

Newest additions, can you guess which one is which? :rolleyes: Suang Blue, Arrogant Blue, Pampandoi, Brownie Blue. Pictures are not great but I promise i'll work on it.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
1) Pampandoi, 2) Suang Blue, 3) Arrogant Blue, 4) Brownie Blue?

Reactions: Wyvc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) Pampandoi, 2) Suang Blue, 3) Arrogant Blue, 4) Brownie Blue?
:confused: i dont really know myself haha.. Suang Blue and Arrogant Blue are correct, theres no labeling of the brownie and pampandoi. :eek: its going to haunt me later on i bet..

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Pampandoi is the smallest one.
Brownie is around the same size as arrogant blue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picture time! Next update will most likely be when the plants completely fill in, especially the fissidens or when I get tired of the ugly scape and restart one. I'll be honest it looks pretty bad which is why I never post a picture of the full thing.. IMG_1920.jpg IMG_1964.jpg IMG_1944.jpg IMG_1962.jpg IMG_2061.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
S repen pictures is bad but growth rate is pretty good. Started with a pot of tropica 1-2 grow now its more like 3-4 pots in total and all it took was 3 weeks.. IMG_2069.jpg IMG_2063.jpg IMG_2078.jpg IMG_2076.jpg IMG_2083.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This one is for you Reckon, if you read this post try to id the plant ;) Not the english thyme IMG_2088.jpg

And the remaining stuff I couldn't fit into my tank. IMG_2090.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm currently starting another 20 gallon tank, wood refused to sink so until I don't know if i want to start another journal as i'd just take it down eventually.. 800 gph pump in there hooked up onto diy filtration follow by a waterfall, I planned to make a platform for emersed plants but quickly realize I don't have a suitable light and ambient temperatures are too low, I could try half submerge half emerse? Looks like I need more bucephalandras ;). The chihiro A series light needs to arrive already! I need to trim my plants in the cherry tank, maybe throw it up for sale if I have the time :confused:

IMG_2024.jpg

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
This one is for you Reckon, if you read this post try to id the plant ;) Not the english thyme View attachment 160681

And the remaining stuff I couldn't fit into my tank. View attachment 160689
It's a hygrophila species I think. Maybe sp. Stricta.
As for what could be snail eggs - when in doubt just try to get rid of the anyways. But that being said, if you see 1 snail - you've got a full on infestation already.

As for sinking driftwood or spiderwood. I have a 5 gal bucket and a big rock for exactly that job. It can takes as long as 2 weeks to get the darn things to get waterlogged.

Reactions: Dou and Wyvc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's a hygrophila species I think. Maybe sp. Stricta.
As for what could be snail eggs - when in doubt just try to get rid of the anyways. But that being said, if you see 1 snail - you've got a full on infestation already.

As for sinking driftwood or spiderwood. I have a 5 gal bucket and a big rock for exactly that job. It can takes as long as 2 weeks to get the darn things to get waterlogged.
It is a hygrophila, http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/freshwater-chat-9/new-member-victoria-here-rare-plants-anyone-211297/ - Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset' ;) The ludwigia Repens took me a long time to get it to fully be emersed.. I wonder how fast will it melt the moment I submerge it again.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
It is a hygrophila, http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/freshwater-chat-9/new-member-victoria-here-rare-plants-anyone-211297/ - Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset' ;) The ludwigia Repens took me a long time to get it to fully be emersed.. I wonder how fast will it melt the moment I submerge it again.
Ha! No fair, I don't see any variegations on its leaves.

It is tough on the plant to go back and forth in their emersed and submersed forms - there's always a chance it wont' make it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts