British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Art Sculpture Window Visual arts

Let me start off by saying that this is my first 20 gal tank :D. Crs, buces arrived today! - What.. only 5 pictures per post? Buce came in alive, pieces rotting here and there and portions were a little smaller than expected but none the less they are alive for now. The crystal shrimps does not look good at all, doing drip acclimation right now at 2 drops/sec. Will be interesting to see how they fair in a new tank, currently ph 6.8, 140 TDS(24 tap) ( kh / gh kits on the way) and temperature set to 79 F. Plant Leaf Fixture Evergreen Shrub
Plant Shrub Groundcover Evergreen Grass
Food Ingredient Recipe Fines herbes Leaf vegetable
Azure Blue Fluid Insect Liquid

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Alright quick update - all 30 crystals are alive after acclimation,no deaths yet as of now. My clamp light came and I am very surprised that the light penetration is much worse than I expected, I'll get a new bulb for it and try again but for now I have a 60 cm chihiro led shipping from hongkong and quite excited to see how 39 watts will par with my current 2x 24 watt set up. One of them is a Nicrew LED ( 96 LEDs (8 blue )) and I got this from amazon prime 35$, loved it on my 10 gallon but the light penetration on the 60-P was not up to my expectations. The other light I purchased from Aquarium West ( also 60 cm ) for 124$ and its proving to be a piece of crap, terrible heat dissipation and even less penetration than the Nicrew ( good for warming my hands in winter). However I did buy this light 2-3 years ago for my cichlid tank and did not do research on planted tank lights, just bought whatever was available in store. For now this will be just a grow tank as I have my last shipment of anubias comming in a week and perhaps a few larger buces.

About the pictures, they are taken by an iphone ( lights seem a bit much for auto ) ( jpg 007 was taken with one light off ) Right now the lights are bright enough to let my anubias petite to shoot out 2 leaves per week and stream like crazy- the buce and S repens were also streaming. Again, no co2 injection or excel. Plant Fish supply Organism Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation
Plant Leaf Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Tree Groundcover

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Talk about nice bubbler - Anubias recovering and more shrimp. Is it just me or do shrimps like to poop a lot?

Update - I see shells! They sure grow fast, 2 days into new tank and i see 3+ shells already.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Looking good. Yup. My shrimp poop lots too but not as bad as fish :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Plant
Flower Plant Blue Petal Creative arts
Plant Leaf vegetable Wood Terrestrial plant Hardwood
Plant Christmas tree Ingredient Leaf vegetable Table
Food Plant Ingredient Recipe Staple food

Newest additions, can you guess which one is which? :rolleyes: Suang Blue, Arrogant Blue, Pampandoi, Brownie Blue. Pictures are not great but I promise i'll work on it.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
1) Pampandoi, 2) Suang Blue, 3) Arrogant Blue, 4) Brownie Blue?

Reactions: Wyvc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) Pampandoi, 2) Suang Blue, 3) Arrogant Blue, 4) Brownie Blue?
:confused: i dont really know myself haha.. Suang Blue and Arrogant Blue are correct, theres no labeling of the brownie and pampandoi. :eek: its going to haunt me later on i bet..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Pampandoi is the smallest one.
Brownie is around the same size as arrogant blue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picture time! Next update will most likely be when the plants completely fill in, especially the fissidens or when I get tired of the ugly scape and restart one. I'll be honest it looks pretty bad which is why I never post a picture of the full thing.. Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Wood
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Grass Trunk
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial animal
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Wood
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Groundcover

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S repen pictures is bad but growth rate is pretty good. Started with a pot of tropica 1-2 grow now its more like 3-4 pots in total and all it took was 3 weeks.. Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Wood Groundcover
Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Groundcover Grass
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Annual plant
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Grass Trunk
Automotive lighting Bumper Rectangle Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This one is for you Reckon, if you read this post try to id the plant ;) Not the english thyme Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Ingredient Terrestrial plant

And the remaining stuff I couldn't fit into my tank. Insect Plant Recipe Grass Pest

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm currently starting another 20 gallon tank, wood refused to sink so until I don't know if i want to start another journal as i'd just take it down eventually.. 800 gph pump in there hooked up onto diy filtration follow by a waterfall, I planned to make a platform for emersed plants but quickly realize I don't have a suitable light and ambient temperatures are too low, I could try half submerge half emerse? Looks like I need more bucephalandras ;). The chihiro A series light needs to arrive already! I need to trim my plants in the cherry tank, maybe throw it up for sale if I have the time :confused:

Wood Sky Tints and shades Turtle Tortoise

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
This one is for you Reckon, if you read this post try to id the plant ;) Not the english thyme View attachment 160681

And the remaining stuff I couldn't fit into my tank. View attachment 160689
It's a hygrophila species I think. Maybe sp. Stricta.
As for what could be snail eggs - when in doubt just try to get rid of the anyways. But that being said, if you see 1 snail - you've got a full on infestation already.

As for sinking driftwood or spiderwood. I have a 5 gal bucket and a big rock for exactly that job. It can takes as long as 2 weeks to get the darn things to get waterlogged.

Reactions: Dou and Wyvc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It's a hygrophila species I think. Maybe sp. Stricta.
As for what could be snail eggs - when in doubt just try to get rid of the anyways. But that being said, if you see 1 snail - you've got a full on infestation already.

As for sinking driftwood or spiderwood. I have a 5 gal bucket and a big rock for exactly that job. It can takes as long as 2 weeks to get the darn things to get waterlogged.
It is a hygrophila, http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/freshwater-chat-9/new-member-victoria-here-rare-plants-anyone-211297/ - Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset' ;) The ludwigia Repens took me a long time to get it to fully be emersed.. I wonder how fast will it melt the moment I submerge it again.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It is a hygrophila, http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/freshwater-chat-9/new-member-victoria-here-rare-plants-anyone-211297/ - Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset' ;) The ludwigia Repens took me a long time to get it to fully be emersed.. I wonder how fast will it melt the moment I submerge it again.
Ha! No fair, I don't see any variegations on its leaves.

It is tough on the plant to go back and forth in their emersed and submersed forms - there's always a chance it wont' make it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts