British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved just over a week ago. All my fish & plants from my 65 gal are in a 20 gal QT tank. The 65s' filter is set up on the 20 gal to keep the good bacteria going. I have a large pantyhose-bag of old substrate in there too. I have been feeding minimally & monitoring the water params.

In the next few days, I'll be getting brand new eco-complete substrate to add to my 65 gal (currently sitting empty). I have two 16L buckets at my disposal.
1) Do you rinse the eco complete like you would gravel?
2) How long should the eco-complete sit in the tank when it is full of water before adding fish? Do I need to wait at all (besides heating the water up)
3) Since the filter has been running at full occupancy, will it be ok to just add all the fish at once?

Any words of wisdom that you guys wish you had known about with your first move?

TIA!

·
Registered
215 Posts
How far are you moving? Do you have a chance to setup the 65 gal at the new house ahead of time (with substrate and water)?

Depending on your conditions, I would suggest

1) having the 65 setup at the new house ahead of time. Get the cabinet level, put the eco-complete and water into the tank. Get the hardscape "done". You have setup the lights here too. Warm and de-colorinate the water. try and match the water conditions of the 20 gal tank (ph, kh, temp, etc).

2) move all the fish from the 20 gal tank and put it in one bucket 1/2 full of water. Put a lid on it. Depending on how far your moving, you might want an air pump. Get to your new house and depending on the temp of your fish in the bucket you can re-introduce right away. if not, do a slow drip to the bucket from the 65 gal tank to bring the temp up then re-introduce.

3) At the same time your moving your fish, move your filters too..... Filters are good for about 3-4 hours before bacteria starts dying.

4) monitor the new tank. "some" of the good bacteria might have not made the move. You want to be very careful of an ammonia spike.

5) enjoy your new tank :)

Things of note:
More people helping the better.....
More buckets are better. The more water you can save the better.
Watch the water temps!! I moved discus a while ago (in our cold winters) and even with 30-40 gallons of water in a large tub sitting in the back of a truck, temps where dropping quickly. Ran a 100w heater (battery + inverter setup) and I was still loosing something like 2 degrees an hour.

Lastly, assuming you have not moved the tank yet... does it fit in your vehical? if not, gotta a friend?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great info! I'll be moving soon and this topic has been in the back of my mind...

I'll be moving a 120G African Cichlid/Pleco tank...

·
Registered
382 Posts
i've had good success moving fish in a large cooler + plastic bag... it's nice when the cooler + plastic gives a watertight seal... but it depends how long your move will be

·
Registered
215 Posts
for a 120g tank... I would add a few things

you want to move as much water as you can... even 20% would be great but 20% of a 120g is a LOT (and heavy!!).. keep this in mind.

The 120g tank is heavy.. and hard to hold... and fragle.. etc etc.... make sure you have LOTS of people on hand to help out. Also rent suction cups.... REAL suction cups. Everybody helping out should have at least one suction cup of not two.. they are approx $10 a day... well worth it.

I rented 4 cups for my move (3 ppl) and it was great.

Substrate is also heavy..... and annoying to move. you will need buckets to hold the substrate for the move and something to scoop it all out with.

I posted this before the crash and I guess i'll summarize and re-post for refrence.
I moved a 100gal 3ft glass tank. This was a planted discus community tank with 4+" of substrate in it (ada). In an effort to ensure everything survives the move, I went overkill on basically everything...... I could prob survive a 8-9 hour move with this setup.. I only moved 30 mins away.

The week before, Prepare by gathering up all the supplies needed for move day. You don't want to run out supplies have to make a run to the shop with fishes in buckets. I ended up purchasing.

40-50 gal rubbermade tote, to hold all the fishes and "most" of the tank water.
another large garbage can (20 gal?)
buckets (5 gal pails)

Things I had on hand
Couple of spair car batteries, 1200w inverter, jumper cables, air pump, spair thermometer, plastic trays, buch of misc hoses and power heads, etc. Pickup truck with trailer. wood shims to level the cabinet @ your house

Few days before the move, my friend started cutting back on the feeding a bit.

Day of the move.
As soon as I got to my friends place we started moving water to the truck. With the truck parked a good 4-5 min walk and down a large flight of stairs, this was a 2-3 hour job.

Once we got the tank 1/2 drained (and I took as much water as I wanted) we started catching fish. 1/4 bucket of tank water then go fishing..... in a large tank with 100+ fish this takes a LONG time...... as the fish are caught we transfered them to the truck (the large rubbermate tote).

Being this was a cold day and the fact I was carrying discus, I watched the temp in the truck tote. once the temp started to drop we switched on the 100w heater. 2 batteries means i'm carrying approx 3 hours of power, jumper cables will allow me to pull power from the truck batteries too for an extra hour before I NEED to start the truck.

Once all the fish where caught, we then shut down the filters and packed those up. Substrate was next (easy but messy here). Finally the tank was moved out. This took over an hour because of the distance between their living room and where the truck was parked. Suction cups are a must.

Next came the cabinet... the light stand, lights, etc etc etc....
once you get to your house.. you reverse the procedure....

All in all, it took me a full day to move. Only lost one fish during the move (a small tetra). while everything was super overkill, I rather play it safe :)

With 50 + gallons of water, 200-300 lbs of substrate (it was wet) a tank close to 200 lbs and a cabinet that is even heavier the truck was HEAVY! much heavier than expected. be prepaired.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great post Jonney_boy! Should be made a sticky :)

My 20 gal QT tank is at the new house, as is the empty 65. I moved all my fish in pet store fish bags, keeping them in a large tote also, and had no deaths. I'll be transferring water from the 20 gal to the 65.

Thanks for the great post! Suction cups... wish I had thought of that:p My boyfriend & I moved the 65, full of wet florabase & gravel, and my back twinged a few times. He got me to transfer most of the weight to him... he lifts boxes of metre-long rock core everyday, said it weighed about the same :p Hoooly was it heavy!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Honestly, i use for my friends 120 and my 90 one of those flat trollys for moving and you can just push the tank on the ground and you only need to lift when putting on the stand or in the car.

I'm moving in 2 weeks and have a couple uarus, do you think there fins would cut plastic?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts