British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Some of you may have seen my introduction post. Thank you all for being so supportive. I just bought a 46 gallon bowfront fish tank to try out this hobby. Here are the specs if you are interested:

37inch long, 21inch tall, 12inch wide.
Included:
Fluval 206 filter with Sponge & bio balls
3 Fluval heaters
Aqauclear filter 70 with sponge & media
Eheim 350surface skimmer
Whisper air pump

I went out today to get some gravel for the tank as I want to start an easy community tank before I try a Tanganyikan Shell Dweller tank. Rinsed the gravel for a good 40 minutes and filled the tank with de-chlorinated water by carrying buckets full of water back and forth for about another 40 minutes. My back hurts, my arms are sore, but I am loving it!

I plugged in the Aquaclear 70 to run the filter and plan on trying a fishless cycle to make sure I don't kill anything. After that, I want to fill the tank with these livestock: African Dwarf Frog, Red Cherry Shrimp, Kuhli Loach, Neon Tetras, Dwarf Guorami, and Rasbora. This sounds like too many and I'll probably need to remove a couple from my list.Guess ill be posting as there are improvements but I'm glad to be here and look forward to speaking with you all!

IMG_20170317_224633510.jpg IMG_20170317_224650747.jpg

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Congrats on your journey. If you want to do a fishless cycle with household ammonia, Superstore has generic household ammonia, I think I paid $3 for a jug. I'd recommend a Python type of water changer unless you like your buckets of water - it does get old fast.

I've kept on those tank inhabitants at one time or another, your future red cherries may not feel comfortable to spawn with some of the tank inhabitants if you want shrimplets. Loaches loves their shrimp too!

I do like my cichlids so once you get past the pretty colours of the "eye candy" fish, personality stands out. Tanganyikan cichlids are fascinating, cool behaviours when they start to breed and can be a big headache when you're trying to keep peace in the tank. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Forgot to add, when you become addicted to the hobby and it sounds like you will, you'll want more tanks. Many Tanganyikan cichlids inhabit the bottom portion of the tank, so a good footprint/base is more important than height. A great size would be a 75g and you can house a few tanganyikan cichlids species. It would all be about the rock scaping for their territories.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Hello everyone,

Some of you may have seen my introduction post. Thank you all for being so supportive. I just bought a 46 gallon bowfront fish tank to try out this hobby. Here are the specs if you are interested:

37inch long, 21inch tall, 12inch wide.
Included:
Fluval 206 filter with Sponge & bio balls
3 Fluval heaters
Aqauclear filter 70 with sponge & media
Eheim 350surface skimmer
Whisper air pump

I went out today to get some gravel for the tank as I want to start an easy community tank before I try a Tanganyikan Shell Dweller tank. Rinsed the gravel for a good 40 minutes and filled the tank with de-chlorinated water by carrying buckets full of water back and forth for about another 40 minutes. My back hurts, my arms are sore, but I am loving it!

I plugged in the Aquaclear 70 to run the filter and plan on trying a fishless cycle to make sure I don't kill anything. After that, I want to fill the tank with these livestock: African Dwarf Frog, Red Cherry Shrimp, Kuhli Loach, Neon Tetras, Dwarf Guorami, and Rasbora. This sounds like too many and I'll probably need to remove a couple from my list.Guess ill be posting as there are improvements but I'm glad to be here and look forward to speaking with you all!

View attachment 148073 View attachment 148081
If you don't mind a little advice.

1) No more buckets! Unless you like the exericse. Get one of these! You won't regret it.

2) Don't put Red Cherry Shrimp with Loaches and Guoramis - unless you really want your fish to eat really well! Personally, I like to add one or two species at a time (the first few are groups/schools) and then decide on how another fish will change the aesthetics of the tank. For example, I may add Cardinal tetras first. Then after deciding I need fish of another color other than the blue I added a school of Ember tetras; these fish are red and have a smaller shape... Next I added a smaller shoal of Diamond tetras for their larger size and showy white color. These guys will really stand out amongs the other two schools. Add some algae eaters and bottom feeders that'll help maintain the tank, etc etc

3) Finally, if you are hoping to add any hills or rises to the bottom of the tank (adds another dimension). I learned that its best to add say, lava rock early in the life of the tank, followed by pouring gravel on top so that it's not disruptive to your tank inhabitants later on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just wondering? I understood that cichlids only do well with other cichlids and these fish are not to be housed in the same tank as other (community) species. Have I got the wrong info?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! I ordered the Python No Spill Cleaner thing!

I plan to take it slow, got some plants in there now and thinking of getting a couple Guoramis until the tank's fully cycled.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Lots of good advice in this thread - but a water change without a bucket is not a true water change...... Sorry Lawson, it's the truth!!!
LOL. A 5 gallon bucket might be fine to do a 25% water change for a 20 gallon ADA 60p. But then for a 46 gallon?!?!

Reactions: Mark Brown and Dou

·
Registered
572 Posts
LOL. A 5 gallon bucket might be fine to do a 25% water change for a 20 gallon ADA 60p. But then for a 46 gallon?!?!
But 5 buckets, 5 times the fun... We're all about having fun here and trying to keep it as real as possible!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts