British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Red Wigglers good for Oscars? and are they better than pellets? ex Hikari

And what are the logistics in harvesting them? how often take them out to use as feeders, how often i need to be putting waste/food into the bin

So far all i know is how to build the worm farm,

·
Registered
167 Posts
Collect your worms and put them in a container with damp paper towels. Make sure you put some air holes in the top. In a day or two all the dirt will have passed through the worms and you'll be able to feed them safely. Feed your oscars red wigglers every couple days and they'll love you for it!

Once your bin is established you'll have an unlimited supply. The more food/vegetable waste you put in the more worms you'll get. If you put in more food than you can cover up you'll get flies.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
WOW! Thanks for sharing the video! I didnt' know that it wouldn't smell! well, at least they make it sound like it wont!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had one in my kitchen for a couple years. No smell!

Some rules to follow though: no meat or protein, bread or rice. Had a massive die-off when I put some leftover rice in the bin. The rice ferments and releases CO2 which suffocates the worms. That smells!

Edit: I should mention that if you put in too much veggie waste at once when the worms aren't established you will get some odours.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
This definitely sounds like the way to go!

Ever tried feeding the worms that fishing bait shops sells?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Are Red Wigglers good for Oscars? and are they better than pellets? ex Hikari
red wigglers and most worms are made up of mostly moisture, and have very little protein. so in short, no worm is better then a top quailty pellet. if u look on a pack of frozen blood worms and check out the guaranteed analysis you will see what i mean.

i don't feed worms to any of my fish anymore, its just not worth it. there's always going to be a chance of disease or parasite when feeding live. the bottom line is, worms are not that nutritious compared to other foods out there.

there's also been cases were fish have become addicted to certain worms and begin to refuse other foods.

heres a list of better alternatives:

- Prawn (frozen and raw)

- tilapia (frozen and raw)

- squid (frozen and raw)

- beef heart (frozen and raw)

- smelt (frozen and raw)

- herring (frozen and raw)

- krill (frozen and raw)

- silver sides (frozen and raw)

- mysis shrimp (frozen and raw)

- Brine shrimp (frozen and raw) or live.

- algae wafers

- regular wafer

- shrimp pellets

- flake food

- vegetables, i.e: cucumber, zucchini, yams, sweet potatoes, broccoli, romaine lettuce, peas

- pellets, i.e Hikari Cichlid gold, Hikari Massivore and NLS Cichlid formula

also, small fish can eat the pellets as well, the pellet just needs to be crushed up, which takes about 10 seconds. everything i listed can be cut and served into portions to feed all sizes of fish. i would feed any of that stuff over worms any day of the week.

if the fish does not accept the new food right away u will have to train it to recognize it as food. a method that has been very successful for me in the past; is to marinate the pellet or whatever in the fish's favorite food. the scent of the favorite food will attract the fish's attention and help it recognize that it is indeed food! also, be patient this may not work the very first time or the tenth time.

make sure not to over feed. clean up any mess u make, from the food left over. if u have weeks of failure then i would starve the fish until it accepts the new food. REMEMBER!! do not starve a fish if it is malnourished or sick!! its best to fatten it up before starvation is attempted.

Variety is Important too!! however, pick a staple that fits the needs of the fish! i picked Hikari Massivore as a staple for most of my fish, u do NOT have to do the same.... i do recommend it though!

i hope u have found this information to be helpful and enlightening. good luck in the decision making.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts