British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at setting up a small fish room, and am hoping I can get some advice from those with more experience than me

Ideally, I'm hoping to start off with six 40 gallon tanks, three 20 gallon tanks, and three 10 gallon tanks.

My first question is in regards to sourcing the tanks. Where should I go about sourcing the tanks that won't cost me a fortune? Is there anywhere local? I had initially planned upon waiting until the $1/gallon sale started up again at the big box retailers down in the states.

My second question is in regards to filtration. Is there a method with comparable cost/efficiency to sponge filters on a central aeration system?

·
Registered
560 Posts
A central air pump, and sponge filters are the way to go imo. A small room could be heated to one temperature, or buy new/used heaters, and heat your tanks individually.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A central air pump, and sponge filters are the way to go imo. A small room could be heated to one temperature, or buy new/used heaters, and heat your tanks individually.
I was thinking of using small heaters in each tank and letting the abient room temperature do the rest

You should post a LF (Looking For) add in the FW equipment section asking for 40s, 20s & 10s.
I've had a posting up for a while and haven't had much response

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,313 Posts
I would plumb them to one sump with two or three larger heaters and run a drip system for water changes but that's just me

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would plumb them to one sump with two or three larger heaters and run a drip system for water changes but that's just me
Unfortunately, I don't think that will be an option. I plan to keep African and south american cichlids, which require very different water parameters

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,313 Posts
then you are planning on buffering the tanks? I have kept both with our water parameters out of the tap with no problems for years but yes that does make sense especially if they are wild caught

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
then you are planning on buffering the tanks? I have kept both with our water parameters out of the tap with no problems for years but yes that does make sense especially if they are wild caught
Yes, was planning on buffering

·
Registered
393 Posts
What kind of heating is available? If you got gas furnace then just keep the room warm with no heaters at ambient temp. If you got something crappy like baseboard heaters, you'll want a space heater that can maintain a constant temperature. It may be cheaper for you though to use heaters, or just more convenient. More heaters though means more chance of failure.

But yeah, central air pump with sponge filters is the norm and cheapest filtration.

·
Registered
519 Posts
working in a heated room is sometimes uncomfortable, especially in the summer, and I would make a point of putting in some type of ventilation, like a bathroom fan, hooked up to a humidistat. Even if you use individual heaters. Especially if you are planning to have the room for a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Get a dehumidifier for sure and a fan blowing out. Or you will get humidity and mold.
Definitely a blower and sponges. Just need the pump, and some pvc pipe and some valves.
Make your racks convenient for seeing and cleaning. Not too low down and not too high. Two rows. Have a laundry tub or raised bathtub for cleaning and draining that's convenient .
The more user friendly layout the more enjoyable it is. If it's cluttered or squishy it gets old quick.
If you want to get even easier you can have pipes with valves above each tank to fill.
Less
Chance
For flying spraying hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts